Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thursday Thoughts + Running

Azalea trail in Nacogdoches - obviously *not* today's run.

Running has been a real joy these last few weeks. The weather has been pretty cool, especially in the mornings, and my speed has started to return. (Side note: I love hearing classmates who moved here from Seattle and Michigan balk at the "heat" and "humidity" and marvel at the fact that it is 85 degrees in September, whereas I am loving these cool and mild temperatures. Texas, you trained me well.) Earlier this week I ran three miles at an 8:48 pace; today I did a perfect four mile progressive, which was longer and more even than my previous progressive workouts. I don't know if it's the weather, the running break I enjoyed this summer or the fact that North Carolina is much flatter than East Texas, but whatever it is, I'll take it.

In other news, I seem to have missed yet more days of Project 365. I don't know why it's so hard to remember to take one photo every day but apparently, for me, this is an impossible request. I don't want to keep starting the project over so I might just truck on, count the times I miss, and extend the project by that number of days. The goal of the project is to make myself take more photos and more risks in my photos, so as long as I'm accomplishing that then it's okay to make exceptions to the challenge. (Which is another way of telling myself: You failed - but in a good way.)

I need to budget my money like whoa. My stipend is very small, my savings are dwindling and I'm already out of money for the month. Boo. I'm going to dip into my savings in order to make it to October, at which point I will adopt a serious budget. I have to keep reminding myself that we are no longer a two-income family with the world's tiniest mortgage, and start living like the broke-ass graduate student that I am. Time to stock up on lentils and rice!

Also time to head to campus. I am teaching today and I'm excited to report that class gets better every week. Last Thursday my students contributed to a discussion AND read their in-class writing exercises out loud. I also graded a homework assignment (grading! so hard!) and was really pleased with the work they did. My students are talented! Such a relief.

Have a great Thursday!

6 comments:

  1.  Are you guys getting the cold front this week?  It's 60 degrees where I am right now!  I can only imagine how nice the weather transition must be, from TX to NC--definitely a lot cooler than what you're used to.  Glad the teaching is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The temperature here dropped a lot this evening. It's 68 here right now. We got a little rain too. BTW...still unpacking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The high today is supposed to be 74. I am in heaven. HEAVEN! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should have a bet to see who is finished unpacking first. Yes, we got a head start, but it has not done much good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy is a trooper. She's been doing a great job at unpacking everything while I'm at work. I work for a little bit when I get home, but it's nothing compared to what she's done. I basically just clean up and box up a bunch of packing paper and break down boxes. I'm hoping to take all that to a recycling drop-off spot today to clear up some space in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when you step outside and it is the perfect running weather. It's such a wonderful feeling! That trail looks absolutely gorgeous.. I would love to run on that in the summer!

    ReplyDelete