Sunday, October 16, 2011

Have a Nice Trip. See You Next Fall.

Last Friday I left the house and set out for a six mile tempo run around the neighborhood. Less than a mile into my run (.71 of a mile, to be exact!) I tripped on the sidewalk and fell hard. I managed to scrape both my palms, skin my right knee, bruise my left knee, dent my Garmin, and a acquire a nice patch of road rash on my left hip. When it comes to falling, I don't mess around.

This photo doesn't do my injuries justice.

After I fell, I hobbled home where Nathan kindly cleaned out my wounds and bandaged me up. I didn't run for two days and things seemed to be healing as they should. This morning I met some friends at Greenfield Lake, despite being terribly hungover (a bottle of wine is not the best pre-run fuel, it turns out) and decided that between the headache and the knee, it was best to cut my planned run down to a slow and easy four miler. The run went fine, minus a few waves of nausea, and I felt significantly less hungover once it was over.

But now, hours later, my knee is throbbing and I'm limping around the house. Super annoying because the half marathon I've been training for is in three weeks and I want to get in at least two more long runs, not to mention speed work (I've been doing 800's and they are HARD). Plus the weather is perfect right now and it seems shameful to enjoy it from the comfort of a cup of coffee on the porch.

I can't complain too much, though. Recently my friend sprained her ankle during an ultra marathon and hasn't been able to run in weeks. Another friend was in a bike accident and broke his nose, fractured his cheek, and chipped some teeth. A few bloggers I enjoy have suffered various injuries which have cleared their race schedules for the foreseeable future. All I have is a banged up knee. I'm pretty lucky when you think about it.

Lucky, but disappointed about all the running and yoga I'm missing out on. I hope when my knee is 100% I'll remember this feeling and be grateful every time my sneakers slap against the street. Until then: patience (and pouting). 

12 comments:

  1. That would suck, especially so early in a run! :( Hope you heal up and feel better soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chrissy! It's been a busy semester and I've been off reader for a while but so glad to be back and catching up on your blog. Congrats on starting school! Congrats on the mini donuts! Keep up the inspiring work! -Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang! be careful out there! here's to fast healing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your fall wasn't any worse, but that doesn't make the pain any better.  Heal up soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, patience...so much easier said than done.  I'm sorry to hear about your fall!  I had a scary one last fall, but it didn't take me out of running condition.  I'm sending quick healing vibes your way, friend.  Take care of that knee, please. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that was the most disappointing part! All those cuts and bruises and I didn't even get a run out of it. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne! I miss you, but I totally understand about the busy semester. Grad school is kicking my ass too! Glad you are back on reader. You need to start a blog so I can keep up with you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I seem to be on the road to recovery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, lady! I hope to run a short one tonight. I ran on Sunday but definitely should have waited. My knee was very sore after. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. If zombies were chasing me I could probably get away, but it seems silly to push it when I'm achy and sore. Soon! 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knees suck. Just when you think they can handle things they start getting all throbby on you and ruin your plans. Stay safe and hope it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend sprained her ankle in an ultra marathon too.

    ReplyDelete