Friday, October 14, 2011

Quality Over Quantity

These Wilmington photos don't have anything to do with this post. I just like them.

Since I moved to Wilmington this summer, I haven't been blogging as much. At first it was because it took us over three weeks to get the Internet hooked up and blogging from my phone was cumbersome. Then school started and I was busy learning how to be a student again. Now I have Internet at home, I'm settled into my new routine, and still - I'm blogging less, averaging about three times a week. What gives?

I'll tell you what. I don't have as much to say. Seems crazy, considering I'm in a new town, in a new part of the country, in the throes of an MFA program, and awash in new experiences and adventures. The difference is that I'm not at a desk 40 hours a week and when I do have time to sit down and write I am choosing to instead work on my fiction rather than my blog. Which is necessary and wonderful and the whole point of living in Wilmington, but still - I miss rambling here daily, about whatever pops into my mind. The longer I go between posts, the more pressure I feel to make a reappearance that will knock your socks off. And that kind of pressure makes blogging - a hobby, a diversion, a way to relax and unwind - anything but.


What to do? For one, keep blogging. I don't think I could give up my little space on the Internet even if I wanted to, and I definitely don't want to. To me, blogging is an art - unique in it's freedoms and constraints, a form that suits a certain kind of writing and thinking, and a tool to capture and document a person's story, as it unfolds. I like fitting my thoughts and dreams into short(ish) posts, taking photos to capture important or just pretty moments of my life, and sharing my story with my small but kind and thoughtful circle of readers. I have made real friends through blogging, and if I left this space behind I would miss them very much. 


Which is all to say: I will keep blogging, most likely forever. But for the forseeable future, I will be focusing on quality over quantity. I thought about making a blogging schedule (Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 8:00 AM ET) but again - that puts too much pressure on a thing which is suppose to be fun. So instead, I'll just write when I have something to say, leave more comments on the blogs that I love, and write the heck out of some short stories and, soon, a novel.

So how about this: you keep blogging and reading and commenting, and so will I. Deal? Deal.

17 comments:

  1. I definitely know how you feel, and I appreciate well-thought entries vs those to meet a quote or "build" readership. I'm a loyal reader and always will be. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did notice you have been writing less but I also have had less time to read blogs lately because I have chosen to quit reading blogs and then missing my workouts. So it works out. You write less and I have less time to read.  So you put less stress on me because I get less behind. 
    See how I made this all about me. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elliewoodscarlett5:16 AM, October 15, 2011

    Love these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos are lovely and that's a great spot you have there. I stopped blogging at my other blog in large part because I felt so constrained for time and it was increasingly feeling like an obligation and that made me feel even more stressed than I already was. I kept my current blog because I never posted there more than a few times a week and it didn't seem to carry with it the same sense of need to produce both quality and quantity. I don't schedule blogging time, but the rhythms of a semester are such that it sort of happens organically. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deal!  I definitely feel the same way about blogging.  If I had more time--creative, energetic time--I would blog more often, but so it goes when you have a life filled with good stuff.  That's the irony of it!  I often feel like my blogging time is "stolen" from other parts of my life, but I think the reason for that is that I don't have regularly scheduled creative time.  That's something to think about...

    Happy weekend, Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jessica! That means a lot to me, especially because I admire your blog so much. :)

    Blogger in draft shows how many views individuals posts receive, and it's pretty clear that my filler posts are just that - filler. The posts I spend time and energy on generally get 2-3 times as many views. I figure if it's something I would skim on another blog, it probably doesn't need to be posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it's working out for both of us! I've been not so good at commenting on blogs lately, but I know how much feedback means so I'm going to try and be better about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I love Wilmington. It's so pretty that photos are easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rhythms of the semester are definitely affecting my blog and I'm okay with it. I actually prefer blogs that post a few times a week rather than 1-3 times every day. It's overwhelming! I think your blog seems to have a good rhythm - I always perk up when I see a new post in Google Reader and I'm hardly ever disappointed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your posts are some of the most thoughtful ones I read. I often save them for when I have time to think about and comment on them, which is why my comments are often a week after the post was published. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know we all get busy. I've been super bad at commenting lately. Also if I sneak a read at work, Disqus is blocked so I can't comment and have to think to go back later (doesn't ever happen).   I know I love comments and yet I haven't been making as much of an effort to comment lately. I'm trying to get back into it. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. eek i'm one of the 1-3 times a day posters! (but I did that to get caught up on my daily posts and I am finally there... yay. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. not that i'm trying to make you think of death or dying, but this post reminds me of a program on npr i listened to yesterday, about what happens to a person's "virtual life" after death. should it be left for readers to experience, and read again? kind of like letters between writers or actors or artists that were found and published years and years later, for the world to see a personal glimpse into their lives. i have had friends who have died and therefore, all activity online ceases to be. whether you keep blogging well into old age or slowly taper off into something else, it's interesting to think about what changes you and the world will see throughout your blogging experience. i mean, what if one day when you're old (and your boy-friend...or husband....or new boyfriend....or children...or new doggies...) are next to you re-visiting a month in your life oh so long ago?
    now there's an idea for a novel!
    whatever happens, let us know if you decide to quit blogging so we don't have to worry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. جريدة مصر6:53 AM, October 18, 2011

    This is an interesting topic
    http://www.jareditmisr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. It depends on what kind of blog you have, I suppose. You're is mostly about documenting things so it makes sense that you would post more often than someone who is just trying to get more page views. 

    ReplyDelete
  16.  Interesting ideas, and not at all morbid! I am quite sure I would never just disappear from the blog world (and if I do, then something is definitely wrong!) but it is good to think of what will happen to our online lives after we pass. A good friend has entrusted me with all her passwords so I can delete her Facebook, etc, if need be. I plan to do the same thing but have been putting it off - no one likes to think about that kind of thing, but it's important to have a plan.

    It is also interesting to think about the consequences of documenting one's life. I don't think I've posted anything that would cause me to be embarrassed later in life, no matter what changes, but you never know. I don't blog the more personal things (details about sex, relationships, gossip, etc) so I think I'm in the clear. But people who do blog those things definitely have a more complicated relationship with their virtual lives!

    Thanks for the thoughtful comment. You've definitely give me some things to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty pics. I'm the same. Haven't been blogging - it's too much work for having so little to say. I also want to wait until we're done migrating and re-working our blog...but I haven't really been getting to that, either!

    ReplyDelete