Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Change of Race Plans and Kettlebell

After three solid weeks of sub-par running (documented here) I've decided to back out of the half marathon I'd spent the last few months training for. I haven't done a long run since early October and and I don't feel comfortable running a race for which I'm not properly trained. A bit of a bummer, but that's the risk of running. On the bright side, I hadn't registered yet (one of the perks of being the world's worst procrastinator) so at least I'm not out $70.


As a consolation prize, I've decided instead to sign up for a the Wilmington Roadrunners Turkey Trot. It's a four mile trail race that takes place in and benefits Carolina Beach State Park. The race is Thanksgiving weekend and my knee seems to handle shorter runs just fine, so I think this is the better choice for my body right now. Plus I'd like to get to know the Roadrunners (they have weekly workouts I want to join) and this will be the perfect opportunity. Good stuff.

Since deciding to skip the half marathon, I have been running less and doing more cross-training. I had to quit the yoga studio I joined when I first moved here (turns out I was crazy to think I could afford to pay $99 a month for a membership) and instead joined the YMCA (which offers a very affordable membership plan for poor people/grad students). The yoga classes there have been so-so, but that's because I have yet to drag myself out of bed at 6:00 AM for the Ashtanga offering. I have a feeling I'll love that class, if only I could get myself there. Maybe Thursday.

A modern instrument of torture.

Yesterday morning, after a somewhat disappointing yoga class, I met my fellow MFA student and very good friend Erica for a kettlebell workout. Being a kettlebell virgin, I knew what they looked like and that one was expected to swing it around, but that was the extent of my understanding. Needless to say, we were quickly schooled. I could not believe 1. how heavy the kettlebell was (just over 8 pounds! and that was as light as they came!), 2. how fast we were expected to swing it around, or 3. how close to death I came. I am not kidding when I say that my legs were shaking, my arms were screaming, and when we laid down for an ab work I had a hard time getting back up again. It was one of the most intense and difficult workouts of my life and I was miserable for 30 straight minutes.

This was not my instructor.

I thought I was sore yesterday, after class, but then I woke up this morning to new levels of pain. My legs. My ass. My shoulders. My arms. My abs. Everything is screaming at me just dragging myself out of bed felt like a workout.

I can't wait to go back on Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds...uh...fun? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kettleball sounds redonc!  A friend talked me into a Y class like that once and I couldn't walk/function properly for days.  Not my cuppa tea, but awesome that you like it!  

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an awesome workout! And yay for Ericas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try a kettlebell workout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.  Wow wow wow.  Kettlebell sounds kinda insane, but hey, sometimes you need something wild and new to make things exciting.  I look forward to hearing more about the work-outs!

    (Sorry to hear about the yoga studio.  That's no fun.  But at least yoga is something that's pretty adaptable to a wide variety of budget and spatial constraints.  If I couldn't do yoga at home, I wouldn't be nearly as devoted to it as I am, even as my devotion has been a little wobbly lately.  Ebb and flow, right?)

    ReplyDelete