Thursday, November 10, 2011

Nine Years and An Anniversary Garden

Today (11-11-11!) is my and Nathan's nine year anniversary. Yes, nine years. We have been dating since I was just 20 years old and couldn't even buy myself a bottle of wine. (Okay, fine, a 40 of Old English. I was young and had much to learn.) Because we're broke, we've decided to go out to dinner tonight and spend the rest of the weekend at home, working on our future garden. Yes, in addition to bees and chickens, we plan to have a kick ass vegetable paradise come spring time - which means there is a lot of work to do now. Here's what we're currently working with:


We have a very long back yard, and only the half closest to the house is fenced in. Which is fine with us - the back area will be separate from the dogs, which will keep the garden and chicken and bees safe from their grubby paws. In the photo above, I am standing in the furthest part of the yard, looking towards the house.

Nathan has already thinned out the scraggly trees, which were unhealthy and competing for space and sunlight. Our next step is to dig up the roots that were left behind and clear space for raised beds - this will be our weekend goal (very romantic, I know). When faced with a yard such as this, it can be hard to imagine a gorgeous end product. This is where Pinterest comes in - inspiration and motivation, all in one easy to use, cleanly designed, and highly addictive website. Here are just some beauiful gardens I'll be picturing while swinging my pick axe this weekend.


I LOVE the matching beds and fence, but I doubt Nathan would go for something so... well... cute. He's a bit more rustic than that. Still, a girl can dream.


This is actually much close to what we'll be doing. One large bed lined up against our back fence, with delicious rows of vegetables and herbs. I like this version because it uses less wood, which means it will be less expensive to build.


If money is no object, however (ha!), then smaller and more numerous beds is also quite fetching. Easier to reach across for weeding and harvesting as well!


Well now, that's just adorable. Little pots, hanging on a fence and housing herbs and flowers? Is it possible to swoon over plants? This would also be a nice compromise to satisfy my affinity for color. Note to self: raid thrift shops for terracotta flower pots and invest in some paint.

Source: diyideas.com via Chrissy on Pinterest

More adorable colors! This garden is actually too small and a little crowded, but damn if it isn't pretty.

Source: google.com via Chrissy on Pinterest

If we owned rather than rented, this is what I imagine our house would resemble after a year or two. Grass is nothing but a missed opportunity. Super Garden Takeover is where it's at.

I can't wait to start tending my own garden and growing my own food. It's been a dream since we lived in a our apartment in Texas, which got no sun and in which we could not even coax peppers and tomatoes to grow in a container. (We tried. They died.) And soon that dream will come true, but first we have to deal with this:


Yes, we'll be busy this weekend. But that's okay, because we'll be busy together. <3

PS NINE YEARS. Oh my god, we're getting old.

15 comments:

  1. Third social network and third Happy Anny!! to y'all. :) I can't wait to see how your future garden will thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary, Chrissy and Nathan!  Nine years is a long time, especially at your tender young ages :-)  May you have many more happy years together!

    I love those dreamy garden photos!  So beautiful and inspiring.  This spring I'd like to grow some tomatoes on my patio...I'm going to start small.  I miss having some plants around the ole homestead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowee!  Congrats on the nine years!  I'm looking forward to hitting that mark eventually :)  And your garden planning coincides with ours!  We're tilling up the land and plotting out the boxes to build next week.  I love all your ideas (though I would be careful not paint the boxes--the chemicals will leak into the soil and be super bad for veggies).  Can't wait to see what you guys end up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to have a conversation with my husband to make similar plans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say that you are a gardening inspiration! My husband and I moved to a townhouse with a tiny yard, and I want to garden it up rather than dealing with grass. I look forward to reading about you gardening adventures as I figure out my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! What is the rodent population like up there? Next time I make raised beds, I'm lining the bottom with chicken wire. We had a huge problem with both moles and pocket gophers getting to our garden lasts year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, friend. And good luck! There's nothing better than a homegrown tomato, still warm from the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip about painting the boxes! They're pretty to look at but we'll probably leave ours natural. No idea what we'll plant yet - we need to figure out the growing season in NC first!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DO IT. Don't you two have a big yard? Use it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Allyson! So far we are all inspiration, no actual gardening yet. Soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No idea about the rodents, but that is an excellent tip (re: chicken wire). I will pass that on to Nathan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary! And what a good way to spend it: making, clearing, growing. Those hanging pots had me swooning :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! <3 I can't wait to see what your garden looks like. 

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on 9 years.  Dave and I have not been together that long. We started Dating March 2003. We first hung out December 2002. 


    I have no desire for a garden at all. But I need to dig up pictures of my grandparents yard. It had this little wee grass patch then 3 huge gardens plus mint below the railing.  Once they got older, the lower yard was no longer a garden and they only had 2 huge things for a Garden. Oh I wish I had pictures here. I need to dig them out at my parents house. 

    ReplyDelete