Thursday, November 17, 2011

Third Time's A Charm

In keeping my goal of running one marathon a year, I've already chosen and, as of this week, started training for marathon number three: The Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon, right here in Wilmington, North Carolina.



(Ignore the 2011 date - I couldn't find a logo for the 2012 race, but rest assured that it will take place Sunday, March 18th.)

I'm excited about this race for a few reasons. The first is that it's been nearly a year since I last trained for 26.2 miles and I actually kind-of-sort-of miss the sweet exhaustion that running 30-ish miles a week can offer. The second reason is that this race is in Wilmington. After traveling four hours to run Austin in 2010 and two hours to run Houston in 2011, rolling out of bed a few hours before the race and driving less than twenty minutes to the starting line will seem downright luxurious. The third reason is that, according to Runner's World's handy SmartCoach tool, I should be able to complete my third marathon in just under four hours.

Yes, that's right. My goal for the Wrightsville Beach Marathon is 3:59:59. 

Is this a lofty goal? It is. Will it be difficult to achieve? It will. Will I have to be dedicated to my training, on top of my nutrition, smart about cross-training, and willing to turn down invites to the bar? Naturally. Am I physically and mentally capable of finishing a marathon in four hours? I like to think so.

I ran my first marathon in 4:43 and my second in 4:20. This year, present-Chrissy has a few advantages over past-Chrissy, which makes me think it might actually be possible to knock another 20 minutes off my PR. Those advantages are as follows:

1. I'm currently in graduate school. While I am busier than I used to be, my schedule is much more flexible. In the past, if I missed a long run I had to use vacation time to make it up during the week, if I was lucky. Now, I can easily adapt my training plan to suit my needs as they arise.

2. I have two marathons under my belt already. I know what to expect. Sure, I'll learn a few more things this time around, but I'm way better off than when I started. Case in point: I now understand the concept and importance of speed work. This is huge.

3. Wilmington is much flatter than East Texas. Flat = fast.

4. I now consider cross-training just as important as running. Kettlebell will make me stronger and yoga keeps my body flexible and limber. Kettlebell + yoga + running = the holy trinity of physical fitness.

5. I have an inflated sense of ego and confidence to spare. Plus, I like a challenge and a four hour marathon is definitely a challenge.

So there you have it. The goal has been set, the intention has been announced - now all I have to do is train like a mofo, run 26.2 miles at a 9:10 pace, and collect my medal on March 18th. Easy as pie. (Wait. 9:10? Oh jeez. This is going to hurt.)

In case you were curious, here's a link to the training plan I'll be using to get myself across the finish line. (I hope that link works - if not, let me know.) I also plan to write a marathon post each Monday, with details about the past week's workouts and progress. I've missed blogging about training almost as much as I've missed training, so this should be fun. Painful, but fun.

Do you have any big races planned for 2012? Do you love the feeling of a freshly generated training plan? Are you blogging your progress and goals? Let me know and we can cheer each other on!

19 comments:

  1. yay! I loved your running posts, they were so motivating. You'll definitely own that time and do great, so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo, sub-four!  Go for it, darlin'.  I can't wait to hear all about your training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! I can't wait to follow your training. 

    I'm currently on the fence about two spring half-marathons - one on my birthday, which would be awesome. For some reason I'm having some difficulty committing, though. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!  I can't wait to hear how the training goes.  I've finally gotten to the point where, for the third time this year, I can start training again (and, unless something really really really bad happens) not stop training (this year was just not my year for running).  I've got a bunch of trail runs planned, though I think my first one won't work--10k by Jan 7 (or something like that), is just a wee ambitious given my 2 mile runs at the moment.  But we'll see.  Aiming for the 25k in June!  Then maybe that elusive marathon...but on a road :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 100% in agreement with the distance thing. I've only done the one marathon, but the drive home after (and not stretching or moving for that whole distance home) was excruciating. So nice to be living in an area that has its own marathons and long races.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah! I get excited just reading about such AMBITION. So impressed that you do so many things and looking forward to following your training.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you like the running posts! The promise of tracking my training here makes me more likely to actually train. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scary but exciting! But then, all the best things are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A birthday half would be awesome! And spring is still a long way off. Plenty of time to commit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Races are really motivating when it comes to training, which is clearly obvious, but also very true. And this marathon is not actually on the beach - I would surely die if I had to run 26.2 miles through the sand! It just starts at the beach but then it's all on roads. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The drive home was THE WORST. And compared to Nac, there are so many races here! Every weekend, just about. Too bad I can't afford all the race fees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Scarlett! I hope I do not disappoint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So excited for you! This sounds like a great goal -- best of luck and I'm looking forward to all your training updates! I am going to continue to try to get closer to that 2:00 half-marathin goal this winter. Hill repeats and interval training are my new BFFs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No big races planned yet, but I am inspired. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't view your plan and I want to :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I created a few plans. Using my recent 10k time I got a goal time of 3:59:57 using the date of your marathon.  Crazy similar

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hm. I'm not sure how to get it to show up for other people. I'll email it to you! But I should warn you - I'm planning to alter some of the paces for the easy runs based on that pace chart that I sent you and using this plan mostly for distances and weekly mileage. Combining more than one plan seems to work better for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't have a specific race planned for 2012, but I would like to run an ultra sometime this year. I suppose the Marine Corps Marathon would be the one that I have "planned".

    ReplyDelete