Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Writers Week


Here at UNCW we are in the throes of Writers Week - an annual event, occurring each fall semester, during which all creative writing classes are canceled and we are instead treated to panel discussions, Q and A's with authors, agents and editors, craft lectures from visiting professors, and nightly readings. The events are open to the public and free, and students can go to as many or as few events as they want. So far, I've made it to everything but the nightly readings (I had bee school on Monday and missed last night's due to a hair cut that ran over) and so far, everything has been amazing.

Today, I'm taking the morning off from sessions in order to actually get some exercise in (I officially started marathon training this week - more about that tomorrow!)  and I have a six mile tempo run and a kettlebell class to attend before a 12:30 session on breaking into print journals (exciting!). So I'll just leave you with this tidbit from yesterday's panel with the talented Tom Grimes, who wrote the book Mentor: A Memoir, which is now on the top of my to-read list.

"Fiction asks, what if? Memoir asks, why? Both seek to uncover the mysteries of the human experience." (I'm paraphrasing, but creative nonfiction says that's okay.)

I mostly write fiction, but I dabble in nonfiction on occasion. (Hello, blogging!) I think the what ifs and whys are equally important, and I love looking at story-telling from this angle.

Now to run, lift, and seek out more gems like the one above. Until next time! 

1 comment:

  1. What a week on campus!  It sounds amazing and inspiring.  I hope you report back with some more gems from the week.  Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete