Monday, January 23, 2012

Cleaning, Cooking, and Karaoke

The birthday girl gets her groove on.

This past weekend was all about three things, and if you read the title of this post you may have already guessed what they were. If not, here is a hint: cleaning, cooking, and karaoke. First, the karaoke. 

I don't know this guy, but I wish I did.

On Saturday night, we celebrated my friend Sally's birthday. She is the youngest person in our whole MFA program and it seemed the whole program came out in honor of her hitting the big 2-3. There was a pre-party at a friend's apartment, followed by mass migration to the bars of downtown Wilmington. We ended the night at the karaoke bar, where many people sang loudly and passionately (oh, the passion!). If you're wondering what my signature karaoke song is, I hope you're prepared for disappointment: I don't sing karaoke. I lack both musical talent and stage presence, and you have to have one or the other (but preferably not both) in order to entertain a karaoke crowd. I like to think I make up for my lack of performance by being an enthusiastic/drunk audience member.


We were at the bars until 2am (I KNOW!) and woke late on Sunday, only mild hungover, to a cold, wet, and gray morning. After our usual routine of coffee-dog park-pancakes, Nathan and I each settled in to our respective computers. I had a bunch of writing to do (I'm working on an essay about roller derby AND a short story about - what else? - love) and Nathan had homework for his EMT course. He's taking EMT classes at the local community college because medical skills are vital to apocalypse training, and because he's considering going all the way and becoming a paramedic. And because, let's face it, we are a couple addicted to education. More degrees now, please!  


In between writing and revising and writing some more, I did a ton of cooking and baking. I would write for an hour or two, then recover in the kitchen, then return to the desk, then back to the kitchen. It was a nice way to break up my writing time and a good way to let my creative powers rejuvenate. I ended up making: a batch of high protein blueberry muffins (secret ingredient - brown rice protein powder), a double batch of cherry sage vegan sausages, and twice baked potatoes with butternut squash (recipe coming soon). It was all delicious and now I have lots of food in my fridge as well as lots of words on the page.

As soon as I post this, I'm going to pour myself another cup of coffee and settle in for two hours of writing. I rarely write for such a long, unbroken period of time, but I think it'll be good for me. I'm going to look at it as endurance training for the brain. And after that, I'm going for a tempo run. Today's writing will be broken up by exercise, which is probably smart considering all that food in my fridge.

Hope you all had a great weekend and are gearing up for a productive and fulfilling week. And we're off!

(I just realized I didn't tell you about the cleaning part of my weekend, but that's really no great loss. In a nutshell: our house was a wreck and now it's not, but it will surely be a wreck again soon. This is, of course, how things go.)

3 comments:

  1. I pinned the twice baked potato recipe. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy, I have witnessed you in action. I saw you karaoke a Red Hot Chili Peppers song. You knew your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun weekend! I love the kitchen-to-desk-to-kitchen rotation. I think it's the best part of working at home.

    ReplyDelete