Saturday, January 28, 2012

Raleigh from the Window


I think I have mentioned this, but if not: Nathan is currently taking an EMT course at the community college. He is considering going through the year and a half of education required to become a full fledged paramedic, and EMT basic is the first step. This means that in addition to working full time, he also goes to class eight hours a week, plus a few Saturdays. As I know I have mentioned (often and with pleasure) I am also going to graduate school full time, as well as teaching a class. This means that, between our two busy schedules, we've barely seen each other since the spring semester started. 

I like to think that Nathan and I are a pretty independent relationship. We support each other in our goals, usually separate at bars and parties, and don't need to spend every waking moment together. That said, I've missed him lately. And so, when he had to go to Raleigh last minute to cover a co-worker's route, I decided to go with him. 

On Thursday night, he picked me up after his class let out at 10:30pm and we made the two hour drive to Raleigh. It was long and dark and we chatted non-stop - about the week, the wedding, the dogs, and a million other things. We got to our hotel at 1:00am and passed out immediately. Up in the morning at 7 and on the road by 7:30, because Nathan had a full day of sites to inspect for his job. He basically drives around construction sites, making sure their silt fencing is in place, checking on their levels of rain water, and ensuring that the construction companies are not outright destroying the environment. It's a lot of driving (which, as far as saving the environment goes, is ironic, but what can you do?) and fairly boring. When he has to do someone else's route, it takes a lot longer because he's not as familiar with their sites as he is with his own. 

So, as you can see: thrilling stuff. Over the course of the trip, I failed to officially experience Raleigh, it rained a lot, Nathan accidentally backed into a mailbox and broke our bumper, I was reminded that sitting in the car for ten hours is tiring, and I missed the dogs and the comfort of my routine. And yet: we had a great time. It's nice to know that even the most boring, mundane tasks can be fun when we do them together. Which is another way of saying: okay, fine, we can get married.


8 comments:

  1. Chrissy, I love this post! So sweet to read about the coexistence of independence (which I think is important in relationships) as well as the genuine comfort of each other's company, intermixed with the rainy day and missing your dogs. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! It was actually a really nice day for us. It's good to spend time together. :)

      Delete
  2. Stink about the rain, you'll have to hit Raleigh up again soon! We had a lot of fun there last week. And, aww, about having fun even during mundane tasks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I got some good recommendations for restaurants and coffee shops before we left, and was a little bummed we didn't get to use them. I'm sure we'll back - it's only about two hours away. After living in Texas for so long, that's nothing!

      Delete
  3. I love this post and that your relationship. Slow and steady love is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "okay, fine...we can get married"?
    the way you put that sounds, so,...well- sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, really? I thought it was clear that I was kidding - especially because that line was preceded by what I felt was something very sweet: "And yet: we had a great time. It's nice to know that even the most boring, mundane tasks can be fun when we do them together."

      Delete