Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Starving Artist's Garlic Ginger Peanut Sauce

I have another cheap and fast recipe for you today, perfect for the starving artists out there. I am calling this one, "Garlic Ginger Peanut Sauce," because the longer the name, the better the recipe. Amirite?



Over the weekend I wanted to make something fast and tasty. We had two half empty jars of store bought peanut sauce in the fridge and, while convenient, they are full of chemicals, preservatives, and various other things I cannot pronounce and hope are, at the very least, not derived from animals. After some searching with my trusty Google, I learned that homemade peanut sauces take minimal time and effort. Best of all, I had all the ingredients on hand - which is what makes this sauce a starving artist's dream. Listen, when you're busy writing/painting/singing/dancing/CREATING, there is no time left to run to the store for a last minute ingredient. The starving artist must learn to make do.


I served the sauce on udon noodles, with sauteed tofu, broccoli, and a few shallots that had seen better days. The whole meal came together in about twenty minutes, but only because I chose to saute the broccoli instead of steaming it. I like tender broccoli.

Starving Artist's Garlic Ginger Peanut Sauce
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

You will need:
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup of non-dairy milk (I like almond best)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
a few drops of hot sauce (to taste)

Directions: 
Saute the garlic and ginger in a little oil for about two minutes, or until fragrant.

Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk so they are thoroughly combined. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more milk. Heat on medium-low until warmed through. 

Oh, and if you ever wondered where I take my foodie photos, wonder no more. Edge of my counter, next to the kitchen door, with my cooking mess pushed to one side. I'm such a professional.


3 comments:

  1. I guess I'll have to try making my own peanut sauce and see how it goes. I like a certain brand of peanut sauce and not many others. So, I'm hoping I can make the switch over to a home made sauce instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like peanut sauce is one of those recipe categories where it's hard to make the same sauce twice. Am I the only one with this endless inclination to tinker, modify, adulterate, and otherwise fidget with my recipes? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delicious!!!! Great ginger flavor!

    ReplyDelete