Monday, January 16, 2012

Weekend Adventures

Brownies make every party better.

This past weekend was a good mix of busy and not-so-busy, productive and sit-on-the-couch. In other words, my kind of weekend.

We started our adventures on Friday, but heading over to the house of two friends who also happened to be recently engaged. It's been fun having a friend here in town to discuss wedding planning with. They got engaged over the Christmas holiday and are planning a May wedding. On the one hand, I think they are crazy. On the other, they're getting it over and done with so quickly - I'm maybe a little jealous. At any rate, they invited a small group over for homemade pizza, wine, and a small fire in the backyard. It was a cold night, but we huddled around the flames and sipped our beverages to stay warm. My favorite my kind of night.

Pizza topped with roasted sweet potato. Carb love.

Backyard bonfire.

Saturdays is becoming our dedicated yard and garden day. This week we tilled the raised beds, turning over the leaves and compost so they will decompose and transform themselves into healthy soil faster. We also took a trip to Progressive Gardens, our new favorite gardening store, where we bought a pound of earthworms and received a free gallon of compost tea. Delicious! 

Progressive Gardens.

The compost tea was actually for the gardens (gotcha!) and the earthworms were for our worm hotel. Well, our future worm hotel. That was my project for the day. I found some simple directions online, bought the materials and the worms, armed myself with the drill, and spent the afternoon constructing a home for our new wiggly friends. Building a worm hotel has actually been on my life list for an absurdly long time, so it felt good to finally cross that item off. Plus, the worms seem to like their new digs (har, har). Everyone's a winner! 

Artsy drill bits.

Hello, friend!

I documented the construction of the worm hotel thoroughly and plan to write a separate post about it. For now, just know it was very easy and very cheap and I did the whole thing by myself. I'm really growing up.

On Sunday, I didn't do much of anything. Wait, that's not true. I just didn't do anything worth photographing. There was some writing in the morning (I'm working on a creative nonfiction piece about roller derby that gets clunkier every time I touch it - sigh), some reading (The Writing Life by Annie Dillard - amazing), some running (another five miler, for a grand total of 13 last week - don't call it a comeback), and tea + toast (I was inexplicably nauseous after my run and lounged on the couch for a few hours, which seemed to fix things). A good Sunday and a great weekend, and now I'm ready for a productive week. Hope you all feel the same!

PS - Raquelita alerted me to the fact that Blogger now has a reply feature on it's commenting system. Since replies were the main reason I was using Disqus, I've decided to go back to Blogger comments. Which means the order of some of my older comments are a little mixed up, but everything should look okay from here on out. If you notice anything weird, let me know!

9 comments:

  1. Brownies and sweet potato pizza pie. Mmm.

    I'm impressed you built a worm hotel. I can't wait to see the details. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're excited, because I took many glamor shots of worms. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an awesome weekend. Can't wait to read about your worm hotel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably post it tomorrow or Wednesday. Need to take a few more photos of the finished product - I ran out of light on Saturday and have been lazy since. :)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a really good weekend! I ran all of 8 miles last week thanks to a nasty cold that kept me from doing a little run and a long run. I'm hoping this week will be much better for me for running and for some other things - including research and writing productivity and novel reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a secret: Monday is my favorite day of the week. So many opportunities just ahead to get everything done and have a million adventures! Good luck this week, and I hope your cold is better!

      Delete
  4. Ahoy Monday! Your bonfire/dinner party night sounds delightful. I'm off to check out the Annie Dillard book--are you reading that one for class? for pleasure? both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's required for class, but I would have read it anyway. It contains one of my favorite quotes of all time, from the most excellent chapter on schedules, which I plan to quote extensively in a future post: "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."

      Glorious.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a perfect weekend to me! Progressive Gardens looks so neat, I really wish we had a store like that nearby. & yum for sweet potato pizza!

    ReplyDelete