Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Hard Week, But At Least There Were Brownies

It hasn't been an easy week. 

First, our heater stopped working on Sunday afternoon. I mentioned this in my last post, but when I wrote that I didn't yet know it would take two days, three visits from different service people, and $500 to get it turned on again. Also, that this would all happen during our one and only actual cold spell of the winter. Which means I spent two days wearing layers of clothing in my own house, shivering at my desk, and crying over the fact that my feet physically ached. I have a very low tolerance for cold weather, and living in a house hovering around 45F took a physical and emotional toll. I never said I was tough.


To make a long story just slightly longer, our house has an archaic heating system and we ran out of oil. I wish we had figured this out sooner and saved ourselves a headache or twelve, but alas. The more you know.

In addition to being cold and unhappy for the beginning part of the week, Nathan's schedule is beginning to take it's toll. A full time job that actually ends up being closer to 50-60 hours a week, plus eight hours of class, means he hasn't had a second of downtime. Last night he asked if we could cancel his birthday party and do something quiet and simple instead. I was disappointed, as I love birthday parties, but I guess that's why I have my own. I'm not sure what we're going to do yet, but hopefully Nathan will feel relaxed and rejuvenated by the end of it. I will do my best to make this happen.

Valentine's Day was also this week, in case you missed it. I had class all day, Nathan had work and then class all night, and we finally saw each other at 10:30PM. I baked brownies, which is something I do often, but I painstakingly cut them into heart shapes for the holiday, and I bought vegan ice-cream to put on top of them. It's the little things. 


There I was, being thoughtful and romantic, when what does Nathan do? Gives me an external hard drive for my computer, which I have desperately needed for years. (I have none of my photos or writing backed up anywhere. Terrible, I know.) So, Nathan wins the prize for V-Day this year. At least the brownies were delicious. 

I don't really know what the point of this post was, except for the fact that I hadn't written one since Monday and it's been a not-so-great week. Hopefully three cups of coffee and spin class at the YMCA will improve my mood. I'm on cup number two right now, and things are already looking up. And to that I have to say: thank dog, y'all. Thank dog.

11 comments:

  1. Maybe this is a stupid question...but how about 2-3 space heaters in the house for living area, bedroom, and bathroom? I have a small ceramic one and it means business in heating up the area.

    I'm glad you are warm again and those brownies are beautiful.

    I hope next week will be a better one, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. Definitely something to consider. This last delivery should last us the rest of the winter, so we're good for now. And if we aren't, then I will just deal with it. :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh, that is a terrible week, I'm so sorry! I echo Zay, we bought a space heater for our little office because it was miserably cold where our old heater couldn't get to.

    Sending good thoughts and any extra energy I have your way. I know what it's like to have an unrelenting schedule. I feel like people our age just can't catch a break...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Things are looking up, as they usually do. It's Friday and that always helps!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a rough week, but that's really thoughtful of Nathan to get you the hard drive. Oil heaters are a bum, but I'm glad you guys worked it out and didn't completely freeze. I hope you have an amazing Thursday & Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan used to be terrible at presents and I used to be good at them. Somewhere along the line we swapped roles! I'm not complaining, but I feel bad for him.

      Delete
  4. Aw, my heart is breaking to think of you practically freezing to death in your house! That sucks. But your brownies are adorable, and Nathan is a hero, and love wins. I hope your weekend more than makes up for this hard week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! All I really wanted was a little pity. I appreciate you supplying it!

      It is now Friday, my house is warm, and the weekend is off to a good start. Whew!

      Delete
  5. I couldn't last 2 days in a heatless house either. I'd be complaining. My feet get cold in our house when the heat works.
    At least it is all working now I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you had such a hard week! I hope this one is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. External hard drives are sexy. John got me one for our first Christmas together. It has plenty of space on it but now I want a second one to devote just to photos.

    ReplyDelete