Thursday, February 23, 2012

Help Henry


If you have read my blog for any length of time, you've heard me mention my friend Amy. In Nacogdoches, she was my yoga instructor, my running buddy, my wine-drinking partner, and my dog-sitter. She and her boyfriend, David, are two of the most compassionate and generous people I know, the kind who go out of their way to help anyone, human and animal alike.

Five years ago, they adopted a dog, Henry. They found him on the side of the road, covered in lacerations and suffering from a broken foot. They took him in and nursed him back to health, and he's grown to be a loyal dog, full of personality and attitude. Since then, they have taken in four more dogs, three horses, two Guinea pigs (one of which gave birth shortly after), and a kitten. But, as Amy said, Henry started it all.


Two days ago Henry was suddenly unable to use his legs or control his bladder. They rushed him to their vet, who then sent them to Texas A&M, home of the nation's premier veterinary college, to find out what was wrong and what they can do for Henry.The tests will be expensive and Amy and David can't afford them. So now, their friends and family are coming together in Henry's name, hoping to raise the money needed to help save Henry's life.


You probably don't know Amy and David. You might not even know me, expect for what you've read on this blog. But I hope you know me well enough to know that I don't ask for donations often, or lightly. For Amy, I make an exception. For Henry, I ask. Every little bit helps. Please donate, and then pass it on.

Thank you.

(All photos of Henry by David Kimling, excellent human being and photographer extraordinaire.)

11 comments:

  1. Sadly something very similar happened to two of my parents dogs. Ultimately there was nothing that the vets could do.

    The first time our dog Toby lost the use of his hind legs my parents stubbornly (and some might say selfishly) refused to acknowledge the vet's advice to put him down. For a week they continued to support his hind legs by holding him up with a towel. Believe it or not he did regain the use of his hind legs, but it only lasted about a week. Sadly the decision was finally made to put him down.

    I will try my best to at the very least spread the word that your friends need help. It is a very hard thing to go through especially when your pets are considered members of your family. From the time I was born their were animals in the house and even now living on my own I have two cats. I could not imagine ever living without the company of a furry friend or two or three...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RKeller08. I'm sorry to hear about your parents' dog. I know that Amy and David will do what is best for Henry, no matter what that means. Right now, they're getting tests done to find out exactly what is wrong, and then decide how to treat him from there.

      We all appreciate any help you can give, especially spreading the word!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for starting this! I've reposted Henry's FB page and will continue to do so in hopes that others will also want to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I love seeing so many people come together for a good cause. It makes my heart happy, even in this sad time. <3

      Delete
  3. I tweeted this link! There is always hope, and I will keep Henry in my prayers. I have 2 rescues and every dog I have ever had was a rescue so this touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs.Makeup! Every tweet helps. Hug your dogs tonight!

      Delete
  4. this same thing happened to a friend's dog.
    the dog was not old (5 years old) and suddenly one day, could not use her back legs and could not control her bladder.
    the vet gave the dog a steroid and told them to be attentive. the vet claimed that if after 2 weeks she could not walk there was not much that could be done. the dog appeared in no pain.
    there weren't any expensive bloodwork/test that were performed and exactly at the 2 week mark she began walking again. slowly, because by this point the muscles had become much weakened.

    there ya go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad things worked our for your friend's dog! Unfortunately, the MRI at A&M revealed that Henry has a herniated disk and fluid build up. He's gone in for surgery tonight. Fingers crossed that his story ends up as happy as your friend's dog's story!

      Delete
  5. Hi Chrissy! The link to donate doesn't seem to be working. You know I can't let a pup in need go without help. Can you please repost the donation link? I'll be sharing this everywhere. I can't even imagine being in the same situation and not being able to afford care for my babies. It would absolutely break my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does this link work: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=0nKCoWfo9pRHNCJxaRp_U767s9v4Cb-s6RQyZ_wcIgjnsfy-GP6RrH1iNIK&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d43b1bb6ca6ed6d454adc375ba2d28b99

      Delete
    2. Still doesn't seem to be working. :-(

      Delete