Monday, February 27, 2012

Weekend Adventures: Pizza and Parties

I hope you all had a great weekend, because I definitely did. Nothing super exciting or extraordinary, but I managed to make time for most of my favorite weekend activities, which is always an accomplishment. Number one favorite thing? Dinner at the Mellow Mushroom.


I am obsessed with the Mellow Mushroom. Our location has a beachy, hippie vibe (the staff there has the highest percentage of dreadlocks in Wilmington), and almost every pizza they offer can be made vegan. They have Daiya cheese, but I usually go without - the pizza is so good it doesn't need cheese, real or fake. Nathan and I split a large Mega-veggie and had a few beers, and it was exactly what I needed after a long and busy week.

We were supposed to go to a birthday party at the bar later that night, but as we were leaving the restaurant the sky opened up. We went home and drank wine on the porch while listening to the thunderstorm, and then decided to stay in. It was a good decision, especially since we fell asleep at 9:30. Crazy Friday nights, y'all!


During the weekend, Nathan built bases for old pickle barrels he purchased a few weeks ago. He's building rain barrels for the gardens. I meant to help him, but it seemed to be a one man job, so I tilled a garden bed instead. I'll ask him to write a rain barrel when he's finished. For now, check out those bases!


On Saturday night, our friends M & M invited us over for a little dinner party. I made the Boston Cream Pie from Vegan Pie in the Sky, which was complicated but worth the effort. M made sweet potato quinoa cakes, which were heavenly, and much wine was consumed by all. It was a nice night, and reminded me that I need to have little dinner parties more often. The pleasure I take in cooking is directly proportional to the number of people I get to feed.

Fancy pie!

Kitten wants wine. My kind of kitten.

Sweet potato quinoa cakes. Nom.

Despite the obscene amount of wine I drank on Saturday, I managed to wake up early on Sunday and meet another friend for a five mile run through her neighborhood. She made Nathan and I breakfast after, which was delicious, and we chatted about wedding registries and marathon training. (She's getting married in May - apparently, engagements are contagious!) After our run and brunch, I lazed around the house, made hummus, called my mom (trying to be a better daughter) and then, around 3:15, Nathan and I picked up another friend and went to a pay-what-you-can yoga class at the Wilmington Yoga Center. I love that studio but can't afford a membership - the donation classes are a nice compromise. It was a good class - a slow flow, in a room heated to 85 degrees - and a great way to end the weekend. Yoga, I love you.

But our weekend wasn't over yet! Nathan and I also went to an Oscar watching party that night, even though I had seen approximately three of the movies nominated. It didn't matter. You don't need to see the movies to snark on the awards ceremony. We had a very funny group of people watching together, and I spent a lot of time laughing. My friends are better than the movies.

And now, in usual Weekend Adventures fashion, I will end this with my plans for a productive Monday: a few hours at the coffee shop, where I will write, revise, grade, and email wedding photographers. I need to get a lot done because I'm flying to Chicago on Friday for the AWP conference (!!!), so I better start now. Have a great day, friends!

8 comments:

  1. The pizza and your weekend sound amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mellow Mushroom! The last time I went there they accidentally put vegan cheese on my pizza (I didn't want any) and then gave me a giftcard as an apology. Too bad there aren't any near Philly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a really nice weekend. That vegan boston cream pie looks SO good! Hey today is the last day for my gift away for a knitted cowl...might be nice for working in the garden on the chilly days :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always write the best weekend adventure posts! This weekend I also had pizza, wine, and running, which is always a good combination in my book. (Terrible run notwithstanding...)

    Have a good week, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pizza and parties. Those make for the best weekends! (That kitten is ADORABLE.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds great! Did kitten get the wine!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We told kitten she had to wait until she was of legal age. I have no idea what that is in cat years!

      Delete