Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Savory Tofu Stew


Sometimes you're feeling under the weather. Your immune system has failed you. And even though it's sunny and in the 70's, you want something soothing, savory, and - most of all - simple. Enter: anything that can be made in the crockpot, but especially this stew.

It's a fairly straightforward recipe - no exciting ingredients, no skilled kitchen maneuvers. Tofu, potatoes, onions, carrots. Some broth. A few spices. Eight hours later, you have a pot of honest stew that can fill you for days. Really, what could be better? 


I've been making this stew for years. I found the recipe on VegWeb, and there it's titled "Unbeef Stew," which I don't really like. I don't need to pretend my tofu is beef. Tofu is wonderful as is! Also, in a case where I make the recipe exactly as originally posted, I would normally link to the recipe and let you meander over there for the details. However, VegWeb has been weird lately - my computer keeps blocking my access to it, classifying it as an "attack page." So I'm going to post it here, just in case it disappears from the 'net forever and we are both denied the know-how to make such an easy and filling stew. You can thank me later. For now, get to cooking!

Savory Tofu Stew
from VegWeb 

You will need:   
1 pound extra firm regular tofu
1 large onion chopped 
4 cups vegetable broth 
5 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce 
1 tablespoon tamari (I use Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
2 cloves garlic finely chopped 
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
4  large potatoes, chopped 
1 tomato, diced 
1 teaspoon pepper 
1 teaspoon basil 
3 tablespoons vegan margarine
5 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with water until not lumpy

Directions:

Freeze the tofu and then let it thaw completely. Drain the water from the tofu, cut into slices, and squeeze more water out. 

Cut the slices into chunks and bake at 200 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet while chopping the rest of the ingredients. Remove the tofu when it is very dried out, like croutons. (You should be checking the tofu about every 10-15 minutes so that it doesn't get browned - it should just be dried out, not burned. Mine is usually takes about 30 minutes).

Place all of the prepared ingredients into a crockpot, stir well, and cook on high for at least 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally. The stew is ready when it is thick and brown.

Number of Servings: 8

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this sounds fabulous! Yum yum. I heard about the frozen tofu trick a long time ago, but I have yet to try it myself. Must fix that ASAP.

    Consider your recipe bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofu Stew..What, why have I not had this.... Thank-you for a great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I typically avoid tofu because of my thyroid issues but with the veggie boyfriend around, I will definitely have to make this the next chilly day we have. (I find it impossible to make stews when the sun is shining and I am ready to break out the sandals and maxi dresses!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks friggin' delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came by here to make this (again) this morning, and thought I'd say hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for reminding me about this recipe - I need to make it again! Miss you. :)

      Delete