Monday, April 23, 2012

Casting Call

Today is the first day of my last week of classes until August. I know! I'm just as freaked out about this as you are. Hopefully one of the many jobs I have applied for will call me back soon. 

Speaking of jobs, this weekend I submitted an application for a pretty awesome one. I attended a casting call for extras in a little feature film called Iron Man III. Wilmington, in case you didn't know, is home to the largest film studio outside of LA, and it is not uncommon to run into a surprising number of stars milling around downtown, drinking coffee and admiring the Cape Fear River (this is what I imagine they do, anyway. Also, reason number one why I would make a terrible star.). When I heard they were accepting applications for extras this weekend, I printed out a headshot (thanks, Photo booth!) and headed down.

Future stars.


This was my first casting call and, if we're being honest here, it was not the most glamorous thing ever. I stood with a few friends in a very long line that wrapped around Independence Mall, filling out my application as I waited. (Special skills: Distance running, dog walking, headstands. Hobbies and Interests: Cooking, Gardening, Robert Downey Jr.) The line moved quickly and after about an hour and a half we had made it to the front. 

Here is where things got exciting. There was a large half circle of tables, and behind each sat an Iron Man III staff person. As soon as a spot opened up, I was waved forward. I stood in front of a man, seated, who glanced at me as he took my application, skimming it quickly. 

"And you're available any time, for multiple days in a row?" 
"Yup," I said. "I'm a grad student and the semester is almost over, so I'm pretty much unemployed."
"Ha, okay. Well, we'll let you know." 
"Um, do I need anything else?" 
"No, not really." He looked around the table, then shrugged. "I had some slips of paper with a website on it, but I'm all out." 
"How about you just call me?" I said. 
"Good idea," he laughed. 

And then - and this is the important part - he grabbed a pen and wrote at the top of my application, in all caps: "BETTER THAN PHOTO," before handing it back to me and telling me to place it in the appropriate bin. 

Better than photo?! I am not sure if he meant I was better looking (probably) or if he just liked my personality (not likely). I was a little confused because, while I am not known to be photogenic, I thought my headshot was a fairly accurate representation, wonky right eye and all. For reference, here is the photo I handed in:

Hire me!

I'm kind of glad he wrote that on my application, though. It's a little mysterious and I imagine the Iron Man people going through applications, trying to decide who to call, and seeing the note next to my headshot. "Better than photo? How MUCH better?" Their curiosity will get the best of them, they will call me to come down, and just like that I will be the new love interest of Tony Stark. Or the villain. I'm not picky.

In the meantime, I have also submitted applications to Books-A-Million and the new Whole Foods that's about to open in town. Hopefully someone (Iron Man III or the produce department) will call me soon. Fingers crossed, y'all. I have rent to pay and dogs to feed.

10 comments:

  1. I can't believe your classes are almost done--this year has flown by! Hope you get a call back for being an extra, that'd be kinda fun (also, always tag yourself as Chrissy, Better than Photo, on everything. It's got a funny/nice ring!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, the semester ends mid-May because of finals, and only classes end this week. But MFA students don't have finals, so all I have to do after Thursday is finish up my grading and put the finishing touches on a revision. Easy-peasy!

      Also, I am so glad this is a three year program. I can't imagine being half done already!

      Delete
  2. Oh, how cool! Certainly being a movie extra would be a memorable summer job and good material for future writing, right?

    And I laughed about your right eye. I also have wonky eyes when I smile where one closes more than the other. So sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than photo? Oh my! That sounds like something that would happen to me!

    Thanks for visiting me and I'm glad you like my hens. I hope you can get some soon. They are a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting chicks in early May! So excited!

      Delete
  4. I think that's a good picture of you! And I have a wonky left eye. I always notice it in pictures. Sometimes when I take a picture I try to focus on keeping them even, but then I'm pretty sure I wind up just looking awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Trying to fix the wonky eye is hopeless. One must embrace it. I'm pretty sure Buddha said that. ;)

      Delete
  5. Casting calls are fun. If you're going to be in Wilmington for a while you'll probably end up being an extra in things without even having to go to a casting call. That's how it was for me growing up. I'm in a bunch of random stuff because I grew up in a popular filming location. All uncredited, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard about the casting call... but unless they have a need for chubby, frumpy, slightly nerdy stay at home moms that more than likely have duck poop on their shoes.... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get picked. LOL

    ReplyDelete