Friday, April 06, 2012

Currently: Books, Bees, and Betty


Reading: Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. I really liked her short story collection, Saint Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves, so I had high hopes for her first novel. So far it's... okay. I'll have more to say once I finish reading it.

Watching: We are slowly working our way through Ugly Betty. I know, I know - I am years too late, and also we are basically watching a soap opera. And yet: I do not care. It is funny, it is ridiculous, and it is a nice way to unwind after a long and mentally taxing day.

Eating: My new favorite breakfast is Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats, made with almond milk, and topped with fresh sliced strawberries. There is something about the warm oats and the cold strawberries that makes me think I'm having pie for breakfast. So good. 

Loving: Spring in North Carolina. It's seriously amazing, even though there's a thick coating of yellow pollen everywhere you look. Since living in the south, spring has become my favorite season - it's warm but not oppressively hot, and after a dark and dim winter, the long, sunny days are still a novelty. Team Spring!

Dreaming: There is a really cute two bedroom house for sale around the block from me, which I pass every day while walking the dogs. Even though we are in no position to buy a house, I keep looking at it and imagining us living in it. I have almost convinced Nathan that we should schedule a viewing, just because my curiosity might kill me otherwise.

Roosting: Our bees will be arriving this month and we are not ready for them in the slightest. I will be spending the next few days combing through our books and figuring out what we need to get/build/prepare for our little hives. Exciting and a little nerve-racking, to say the least.  

Friday! I have a fun weekend planned, which includes a tiny road trip with some awesome ladies, a Garden Party, lots of editing and revising, yoga, dog walks, and 10K training. I'm looking forward to it and best of all, it starts as soon as I hit publish. Hope you have a great weekend planned as well.

That's what's going on with me right now. How about you?

7 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on the strawberries these days...yum. They pair so well with almond milk!

    Also, I think you should schedule of viewing of that cute home! It's free, right? And it'll be fun. I remember viewing two homes near me, and I walked away with two impressions: 1) I do not have nearly enough money to buy a home in this neighborhood! And 2) this is way too much home for me. Still, it was fun to look :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will look at the house! Just need to find a time when we're both around. Those are rare these days!

      Delete
  2. Yay, you're getting bees!

    Let us know if Swamplandia is good, I've been thinking about reading it for awhile now.

    Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm nervous about the bees! Hopefully we won't accidentally kill them. :/ And I will do a full review of Swamplandia! once I'm done.

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited to vicariously bee-keep through you. I'm allergic (and may have a touch of hysteria surrounding it), but I've always wanted to bee-keep.

    Be careful if you schedule a viewing. They suck you in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandpa became a beekeeper at retirement. I have such fond memories of being a kid and "helping" with the bees. I'd love to keep bees at some point, can't wait to hear about it more from you!

    Sounds like a great weekend, enjoy every bit of it!

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont see anythung that tyes them down for windy days. When barrel is low, wind can move/blow over.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete