Monday, April 16, 2012

Weekend Adventures

Coffee and blogging. Two of my favorite things.

Once again, it was a beautiful weekend in North Carolina. Sunny skies, perfect temperatures, and lazy mornings followed by productive afternoons followed by social evenings. A great way to spend two days, if I do say so myself. 

Our new minty friend.

The last few weekends have seen us in the backyard, trying to get the gardens and surrounding area in shape for the summer, especially before it gets seriously hot and uncomfortably humid. This weekend, we managed to re-pot all the houseplants we inherited from a graduating MFA student, add another tomato plant, a cucumber, and some mint to the garden, and use a kit to test the pH of our soil. We learned that our soil needs to be more acidic, so amendments must be made. I'll let Nathan write a post about that soon, as I have only a vague idea of what we'll be doing.

More acid, please!

Seamus is concerned, as usual.

We also made the last minute decision on Saturday morning to check out some yard sales. We are on the hunt for oars for our canoe. We didn't find any oars, but I did purchase a very interesting cake pan, a cute little table for our porch, and a ceramic pot for one lucky indoor plant. I was pleased. 

Score.

This was also a weekend full of MFA related readings, none of which I have photos of, but I'm sure you can use your imagination. On Thursday, I went to a thesis reading and heard portions of the books of six graduating third years. It was inspiring and humbling, and I know I say this all the time, but I was blown away by the talent that surrounds me every day here at UNCW. On Friday, I went to the MFA Absurdist Reading, an annual event featuring poetry, prose, film, PowerPoint, and excellent costumes. And on Sunday night, UNCW's own Lookout Books hosted two of our four published authors, Edith Pearlman and John Rybicki, for a reading that literally left the audience in tears. If you haven't heard of Edith's Binocular Vision (which is winning/has been nominated for pretty much every book prize this year) or John's When All the World is Old, a collection of moving poems about his wife's 16 year long battle with terminal cancer, do yourself a favor and read them both now. You won't be sorry, but you might be changed forever.  

Hello, beautiful day! Thanks for the great weekend!

So, between gardening, yard sale steals, beautiful writing, and perfect weather, I'd say it was a pretty great weekend. I hope yours was just as lovely!

9 comments:

  1. I totally get wanting to be done with all the heavy outdoor work before summer heat hits. I feel like we're in a race against humidity as well! Lovely houseplants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving the houseplants myself! Though for the summer, they're actually porch plants. More sun out there!

      Delete
  2. We had a beautiful weekend here, too, up until late Sunday afternoon when the heavy rains hit. We managed to get the most out of it, though, at Kite Fest and at Nate's remission party. Yay beautiful weekends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great weekend, even with the heavy rain!

      Delete
  3. Ah, delightful! You always have the best weekends. And man, I wish there was a thriving MFA community where I live--I would love to attend the kinds of readings that you describe in Wilmington.

    My weekend was good. I took a little road trip with some friends, slothed about the house (can I make sloth a verb? yes?), and got busy in the kitchen. It was lovely and very restorative--I was pretty wiped out by the end of last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slothed is definitely a verb is my world!

      Delete
  4. Just a small suggestion if I may...
    Unless you want your mint to take over your garden in just a few short years, I would reconsider putting it in the ground. It spreads like WILDFIRE!
    Other than that, sounds like you had a FANTASTIC weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner said the same thing, and so I put it in a large pot next to the garden. Thanks for the tip! I am looking forward to tons of mint. :)

      Delete
  5. Excellent Working Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world.God Bless You..
    olympic station cycles
    bicycle shops near london olympic

    ReplyDelete