Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Wrightsville Beach Farmer's Market 10K


In addition to becoming a beekeeper this weekend, I celebrated two other firsts - my first race in North Carolina, and my first time racing a 10K. The race benefited the Wrightsville Beach Farmer's Market and offered both 5K and 10K options. I signed up for the 10K because I wanted an automatic PR, and because I needed a decent distance as motivation to actually run. The last few months have seen my mileage dip and my love for running wane, and I had a feeling a race would help reignite that passion. As it turns out, I was right.


Nathan also signed up for the race and, despite drinking moderately and staying up late at a friend's birthday party the night before, we made it to the race with plenty of time to check in, pick up our bibs and t-shirts, and pose for a photograph. The race was a lot smaller than I had anticipated - just a hundred or so people, and more than half of them were doing the 5K. I started to think that maybe I'd be able to place in my age group, which is always my secret goal.


At 9:00AM, the 10K racers lined up at the start, and after a few moments someone yelled GO! (This was not the fanciest race.) We took off and I felt really great, for about two minutes. That was when I realized I was side by side with Nathan. 

"You're going way too fast," he said. I glanced down at my Garmin. 7:10. Oops. I backed down. 

My goal had been to run 8:30 minute miles, finishing in 52 minutes, but it was humid and, despite weekly speed work, I'm not as fast as I like to imagine. I finished mile one in 8:20, but I knew I couldn't maintain that. One day I'll get the hang of negative splits. 

Mile two was a tiny out and back down a street lined with beach houses - I finished that one in 8:34. We ran over the bridge that crosses the inlet, then down a long stretch of Wrightsville Beach's strip - bars, restaurants, and stores where you can buy bathing suits, surfboards, and jaunty sun hats. I did not stop in any of them, crossed over a second bridge, and finished mile three in 8:48.  At this point, I was back at the start - the 10K racers did the 5K loop twice. Not my favorite layout for a race, but at least I knew what to expect. Miles four - six were not that exciting - 8:58 (it was getting hot), 9:14 (side stitch), and 9:03 (one last, desperate push). According to my Garmin, I finished in 54:20, with an average pace of 8:46. Not quite 8:30's, but close enough. But the best part?


Nathan and I BOTH snagged second in our respective age groups! Not bad for a North Carolina debut. Not bad at all.

10 comments:

  1. An automatic PR--love it :) And congrats on snagging 2nd (both of you), how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Nathan did the whole thing at 7:10 pace then I'm really glad I didn't show up and try to run with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your AG placements! And woohoo for automatic PRs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!! Good job, Hennewards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the race and the AG placements!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gush! That sounds like a beautiful race. I like that first photo. You look super duper tall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I train mostly on the treadmill so pacing outside is always tricky for me. Glad you got yours under control. Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go congrats on the placing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how cool! Congratulations on a great race, second place, and a new PR! A 10K seems like such a great race distance to me--I'm excited to run my first 10K next month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job. I've run 3 10ks and haven't gotten a time that good.

    ReplyDelete