Wednesday, June 06, 2012

It Takes a Village to Throw a Wedding

photo credit
It's now just over five months until the wedding and I have to admit - we haven't done much these last few weeks in the way of planning, despite persistent emails from my Maid of Honor. (Sorry, Susan.) Thus, Nathan and I have decided that from now until November, we'll be instating Wedding Wednesdays - a weekly date where we chose something from the our long list of wedding tasks, and complete it. Wine will be involved, I'm sure. Since our first Wedding Wednesday is tonight, I don't have any progress to report. Instead, I want to talk a little about one of the best things about planning our wedding - the power of community. 

Nathan and I have lived in a lot of places, and I feel like we've been blessed with more amazing, talented, generous, and supportive friends than the average couple. As we've been planning this wedding, we've reached out to some of those friends to see if they'd want to help out by contributing their amazing talents. Each time, they've said yes. It's tricky to balance the responsibilities we're willing to give to friends - we want them to enjoy the party and celebrate with us, not work the night away - but I think we've got a good balance going. Plus, knowing that our community will be involved in our wedding makes it that much more special and meaningful. 

Invitations: Our friends Elma and George already designed our Save the Dates, and now they've agreed to design our invitations as well. I'm really excited, because they're amazing artists and have just started their own design business. I can't wait to see what they come up with! 

As for printing, my MFA friend Erica's dad owns a printing company, and when she asked him if he could give us a discount on printing our invites, he said yes - the discount being totally free. Amazing. 

Officiant: We asked our friend Bryan from Nacogdoches if he'd marry us, and he said yes. This will be his third or fourth wedding, and I know he'll do a beautiful job. I love the idea that one of our dearest friends, someone who knows us, as individuals and as a couple, will be performing the ceremony. The fact that Bryan is one of the most loving and kind people on this planet is icing on the cake. He's asked me and Nathan to type up some ideas we have for the ceremony, along with our beliefs about marriage and love, and send it to him. That will be one of our upcoming Wednesday tasks.

Music: A few years ago, our friends Vicki and Jeromy threw a Halloween party, which Nathan still talks about as the best dance party ever. They're also in a band together, and we're huge fans of their songs.  We asked them if they'd be interested in DJ-ing our wedding dance party, and they said yes! We still have to work out the logistics, but right now we're thinking a laptop and a slamming playlist, plus some emceeing duties (Jeromy also happens to be one of the funniest people ever and an accomplished host-of-various-things.)

Cake: A few years ago, one of my best friends from college, Ella, took a cake decorating class. After a few months and a lot of amazing cakes, she was teaching the class herself. No joke. Ella is going to make our wedding cake, in addition to being a bridesmaid. I'm 99% sure we're going the vegan cupcake route and, having eaten many of Ella's vegan cupcakes, I know they'll be beautiful and delicious. 


I've always thought that the beauty of a wedding is the idea that a couple's community surrounds them and supports them as they embark on their next adventure. Having so many loved ones who are ready and willing to help us throw best celebration possible is, to me, an amazing example of love, and the perfect way to start our marriage. 

4 comments:

  1. It's great that you have so many talented friends involved in your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The persistent emails are only because I am excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to have so many people do stuff for you like that.

    ReplyDelete