Friday, June 01, 2012

Will Work for Wine

With all the excitement of grocery shopping, book reviewing, and to-doing, I forgot to tell you something very important. I finally got a job! Actually, I got two jobs. Best of all, they're both pretty awesome. 


The first job, which I started this week, is at a wine store. I work three days a week, for a total of 18 to 20 hours. The store is cozy, the staff is small, and the customers are pretty ritzy. Let's just say we don't carry any boxed varieties. So far, I'm liking this job a lot. The people are great and atmosphere is really laid back and pleasant - this probably has something to do with the fact that we're surrounded by beautiful bottles of wine. The hardest part of the job will be learning about the different wines. Despite my self-proclaimed wino status, I actually know very little about wine. I'm looking forward to knowing more, to being able to properly describe the spicebox undertones of a good Malbec and the differences between buttery Chardonnays and lighter, crisper varieties. (See? I'm already learning!) 


The second job is also part time, and doesn't start until the end of June. For this job, I will basically be a remote assistant to my friend (and now boss) who lives back in Nacgodoches. Her real, live assistant left and she needed someone to step in ASAP. Luckily, I was unemployed, qualified, and available, so she hired me! I'm going to be doing a lot of her online stuff - maintaining a presence on social media sites, writing press releases, and whatever else she asks me to do. We have a virtual meeting planned the week before the job actually starts, so I'll have more specific details then. What I know for now is that she's a great friend, and I'm really, really lucky to be working for her. 

Between the wine store and assistant position, my summer employment is covered. I can pay rent, shop at Whole Foods, and maybe even put some money away for the wedding. And I'll still have time to work on my novel, take care of the dogs and chickens, and go to all the YMCA classes that my heart desires. Grateful doesn't even begin to describe it. 

I have today off from all forms of employment, and my plans include painting a chicken coop, baking banana bread, writing 1,000 words, and attending a house warming party. Hope y'all have a great Friday and an even better weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the jobbies! Too cool! Have fun on your day off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what great news! I am so thrilled for you to hear that you are working in the wine store. That would be a really fun summer job. And I'm sure you'll be a fast learner, too :-) I know a little more about wine than I used to know, and I tell people that tasting is believing. You might *think* you have no opinions about wine, but once you start tasting different bottles, you will.

    Enjoy your summer! It sounds like it is going to be a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Both jobs sound cool, especially the wine store! I love sales jobs that require a ton of learning, like when I worked at a holistic pet food store or when my roommate worked in a tea shop. A job that requires you to learn about wine sounds pretty baller :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to being a wine pro. It's such a specific field, and that really excites me!

      Delete
  4. Yay for employment! I'm starting my MFA program this fall, so I'm taking notes. I'm sure I'll be in a similar panic to find summer jobs come this time next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What program at you starting?! I love meeting fellow MFA-ers in blogland! :)

      Delete