Monday, July 09, 2012

Books, Beers, and the Boys

First of all, thanks to everyone who commented on my last post, about my epic Fourth of July hangover and the ensuing pain/shame I suffered for two (yes, two!) days. It is nice to know that 1. I'm not the only person in their late 20s/early 30s who still gets sloppy every now and then, and 2. that holidays don't count as far as indulgence goes. You will all be happy to know I've made a full recovery, and was even able to enjoy a few drinks this weekend in responsible moderation. Including two beers at the Wilmington Hammerheads soccer game.




This was our third time seeing the Hammerheads play (and win!) and, for a sporting event, it's a pretty good way to spend a Saturday evening. Especially since the game starts just as the sun is going down and the breeze is picking up. It was tolerable - even enjoyable! - to be outside, and I think it was the only time this whole weekend that I willingly spent more than fifteen minutes outside the comfort of my air-conditioned house.


Sunset, via Camera+ app


After the game, we stopped by yet another going away party. When you are in a three year long MFA program, and it's July/August, you end up saying goodbye to too many people. On the bright side, some of the new first years are beginning to trickle in, so you get to stay hello pretty often, too. One thing's for sure: living life by the semester is a strange world indeed.  

The party was fun. I was most excited to drink more beers and devour the hummus and pita chips that had been set out in the kitchen. Chips and dip are doomed when I am in the room, and that's fine with me. (I also worked out Saturday morning - running and kettlebell at the YMCA - and worked an afternoon shift at the wine store, so my day did not solely revolve around beer and hummus. Just mostly.)




Sunday was a really excellent day. I stayed home, worked on the garden with Nathan, and spent approximately six hours reading and finishing The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver. I have a lot to share about this book, but I think I'll save it for an official review later this week. For now, I will just say that it's been a long time since I've spent a day reading nearly non-stop - I felt like I was twelve years old again, draped over the armchair in my parents' living room, reading Babysitters' Club and Sweet Valley High and Redwall books, while everyone else spent their summer outside. I didn't regret it then, and I don't regret it now. 

I took two notable breaks during my reading marathon. The first was for a lunch date with Jes, from the excellent blog Eating Appalachia. She was passing through Wilmington, and we decided to have lunch. We've read each other's blogs for a few years, but never met in person. I was a little nervous, since she's a food blogger and I was tasked with picking out a lunch spot, and also because maybe she was actually a serial killer, and not the super nice and interesting food blogger / MFA graduate that she appeared to be. 

As you've probably guessed from the fact that I am writing this post, Jes was not a serial killer and we, along with her boyfriend, G, had a really nice lunch at Nikki's, the most Wilmington-esque restaurant I could think of. Proof: 

Photo stolen from Jes, via Twitter.

After our lunch date and more hours reading on the couch, Nathan and I decided we should probably leave the house and do something with the dogs. Since it was still a hundred degrees out, we opted for the shady dog park. Seamus laid in the sand, Calvin chased tennis balls, and everyone seemed pretty pleased with themselves.










We finished off the weekend by concocting fancy cocktails (recipe coming soon), more reading (I only had twenty pages left and couldn't leave myself hanging), and a giant stir fry, because it's always a good idea to end a lazy, decadent weekend on the healthiest note you can.

That was my weekend, compliments of beers, books, and Instagram. I hope yours was just as relaxing, and not quite as hot and humid.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, darlin! I'm glad to hear you made a full recovery, and that your weekend treated you well. You met another blogger! That is so fun. I still remember meeting Jenna and Kath years ago in downtown Chicago, and it was kinda surreal in a very pleasant way. Now I would love to meet you, Kate, and Raquelita, my closest blog friends :-)

    PS I own a pink shirt just like the one you are wearing above. It just goes to show that redheads look great in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love the description of you as a kid voraciously reading Sweet Valley Twin books. Another way in which we are kindred spirits. Can't wait to hear all your thoughts on the Post Birthday World.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I can't believe you guys went outside after lunch--the heat was killer! It was beyond fun meeting you and now I'm going to have to add The Post-Birthday World to my list because god knows I need a book to get into (though I finally ordered Wild, can't wait to read it!). Going to have to work my way back to your hangover post--sounds dreadful. Anyways, so much fun & we'll have to do it again--maybe I'll swing down for the lit festival this next year :)

    ReplyDelete