Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday +/-

Gratuitous photo of summer veggies and polenta, ready for roasting.

Hello, friends! In honor of Friday (which is irrelevant, really, since I work on the weekends, but I can't escape the comfort of the traditional calendar) here's a little run down of the good and not-so-good stuff from the past week. Starting with the not-so-good, as usual, that we might end things on a positive note. 

Not-so-good

- I am feeling some mild wedding planning stress, as we are now four months out and I don't feel like we've made any progress in some time. Part of this is because I don't know exactly what we should have accomplished by now, so I don't know what to stress about, so I am basically suffering from a general sense of unease. Nathan keeps saying we have plenty of time, and naming all the things we have taken care of, and telling me the important stuff is already done. While I know he's right in some regards, I also know there's still a lot to do. Finding a comfortable balance somewhere between our outlooks would be nice.

- A few days ago, I realized the summer is half over, and I haven't really done anything especially memorable with my time. Working, writing, drinking, and gardening are all noble pursuits, but I want to do more to celebrate the season, if that makes sense. I have a few plans to remedy this situation, so I hope to have some good stories to share next week. 

And now for the good!

+ Our dishwasher is finally fixed, which is great. Being able to slip dirty dishes in and take clean dishes out is an extravagance I had sorely missed. 

+ I went up a kettlebell size this week - I'm now swinging an 8KG bell, which is equal to 17.6 pounds. I grabbed one just to see how it felt, thinking it would be way to heavy, and was pleasantly surprised to see that I could handle it (even though I had to go a little slower than usual). Progress! 

+ It was my turn to be workshopped on Monday, and I got some great feedback on a story that I've been working on for a while. I spent the rest of the week revising, per the comments and suggestions of my brilliant friends, and submitted the finished product to a few journals. My goal is to revise and submit everything from my first year in the program, so I can start year two fresh. So far, so good. 

+ We've gotten a ton of rain this week, which has helped ease the pain of the heat wave, done wonders for the garden, and helped me focus on my writing. I'm so much more productive when there's a storm outside my window.

+ Despite the fact that I have to work on Saturday, I have lots of fun and exciting weekend plans, including a potluck party, fun wedding-related tasks, and time to relax and recharge. I hope you have a good weekend waiting for you - that is, after all, the best part of Friday. 

How was your week? Did the -'s outweigh the +'s? Did you make any progress on big goals? Do you have a dishwasher, or do you scrub everything by hand? Let me know in the comments, and have a great Friday!

8 comments:

  1. I do have a dishwasher and prefer to scrub everything by hand. :) Dish washing is kind of a cathartic ritual for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No dishwasher for me so not an option. The dishwasher saves your hands some grief.

    Good news on the writing fingers crossed for you!


    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. We scrub dishes by hand and then wash them in the dishwasher. Scrubbing dishes is incredibly therapeutic for me. I think we got a lot accomplished this week at the house. There's always a ton more to do, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good week this week! Very busy, filled with both receiving and facilitating training. I scrub the dishes by hand, and then run them through the dishwasher.

    I don't know how all the wedding planning has been coming, but the big things that I would think should be done already or soon are location (which you've got), food/cake arrangements, who is taking the pictures, what is the wedding party wearing, who will officiate, and invitations. After that, for me, it was just a lot of the fun little stuff (picking out gifts for wedding party, finding a fun and creative garter, thinking about decorations, deciding about favors). Our wedding was pretty low-key (family member took pictures, cousin made the cakes, homemade pralines for favors, ordered invites online), and I had a lot of fun picking out all the little things and making the program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three cheers for a dishwasher! I have one and love it--I hope I don't have to give up that luxury now that I've become accustomed to it.

    I hope you are having a lovely weekend, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award today!! Check it out:

    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I planned my entire wedding in 3 months so you are good.

    I am stressing about doing nothing so far this summer. I want to do something. Celebrate something. Do something fun.

    What kettlebell size did you start with? You have been doing these classes for about a year right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with an 4KG kettlebell, but now I switch between the 4, the 6, and - for some moves - the 8. I think I started using them last November or October, so not a full year, but close!

      Delete