Friday, July 06, 2012

Redemption


Two days after the holiday, and I'm finally feeling well enough (that is, not hungover) to write a blog post. Am I proud of this fact? No. Do I regret my decisions on the fourth? As always. Will I never, ever drink again? So I claim. But we know how long those claims usually last. 

Here's the thing: I'm almost 30. I should not be drinking mimosas and wine from 3pm until midnight. I should know better. I do know better. And yet sometimes, I get so excited about day drinking, I forget that there is going to be a tomorrow, and that tomorrow will be TERRIBLE. I basically lost a day - a day of productivity, a day of creativity, a day of hard work, of enjoying the experience of being alive, of basic self-respect. It's hard to love yourself when your can't stand up because you get dizzy and then nearly puke. (Did I mention I'm almost 30?) 

I don't even know why I'm writing this blog post, except that I felt the need to confess, and also because I'm still not feeling 100% and can't really think of anything better to write. So listen and trust me when I say: moderation is key. Cheap wine is not worth it. Maybe have dinner before you start hitting the booze. And you should probably drink a few pints of water before bed, even if you think you're totally sober and don't need it. Less is more. More is too much.

As for me, I'm going to be taking a few days off from drinking. Instead, I will clean my house from top to bottom, write an outline for my novel, practice yoga, eat clean, honest food, and be kind to my partner and my dogs and my chickens. 

Redemption, I'm coming for you. 

18 comments:

  1. Chrissy, I'm right there with you. 2 weekends ago I accidentally drank beer from 12p-2a. The next morning I was on my knees in the bathroom of my in-laws house feeling as though I was 31-going-on-19. Oh, the shame. I guess sometimes even adults need reminders. Painful, painful reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This story is very comforting. I'm glad I'm not the only one who occasionally forgets how old she is. :)

      Delete
  2. I hear you on this one - I think we've all been there. Not for a long while for me though thank goodness!!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Oh dear...I'm not sure if it's intentional, but this post is kinda funny. I'm sorry to hear that you've been paying for your daytime drinking in dreadful ways. Next time will be better. (Repeat after me: Next time will be better! Moderation!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I did not feel humorous when I wrote it this morning, but a solid day of work and a power yoga class made me feel a lot better. Now I can look back and laugh. :)

      Delete
    2. I love it! See, you are redeeming yourself :-) Speaking of yoga, it's time for mine. Hurray!

      Delete
  4. Your first paragraph made me smile and wince in recognition. I have been in your shoes, and I'm sure I'll be there again. Like the night I ended up face first in my driveway, begging my husband to "leave me here," because it seemed like too much effort to get my drunk ass to bed. Sigh. Moderation is key but very hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh...I'll be 32 this August and I still do this to myself every few months. One time it's wine, the next it's some delicious high-ABV beer, and yet another it's a ridiculous cocktail....ugh. It's ok. You lost a day. Accept it and move on. Captain Fun forgives you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to... and to whom it will surely happen again. Possibly tonight, as I'm going to both a soccer game AND a going away party. Being sober is hard! ;)

      Delete
  6. It was a special occasion/holiday, don't beat yourself up too badly. I mean, you wouldn't feel this terrible if it was something you did all the time. Besides, wine, no matter the price is always a rough hangover. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks Jessica. I'm feeling much better. I wrote this when I was still in the thick of the hangover, and it's hard to forgive yourself when you're actively suffering. You'll be happy to know I have had a few drinks (in moderation) since I wrote this post. All is not lost!

      Delete
  7. I think we all have those occasional days. The last time I had one, I had to walk dogs the next day. I felt so guilty for being such a slovenly drunkard the night (and day) before, but I felt guiltier calling out of work, so I just tried to suck it up and go. Working outside when you have the world's worst hangover and feel like you're going to puke every thirty seconds is probably the worst experience on the planet. I really should have just called in sick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post reminded me of the song "When I Drink" by The Avett Brothers. If you haven't listened to it, you should.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are plenty productive. So you kick back every once in a while. At least you're not kicking back ALL of the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed this post. I've heard so many similar things from so many people. I haven't experienced it but it's good to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Be glad that you haven't experienced it. I think that makes you one of the lucky few. :)

      Delete
    2. I think of it as making me one of the boring.

      Delete