Monday, August 27, 2012

Beer and Wine

Sorry for disappearing last week - I wasn't kidding when I said posting might be sporadic as I figure out my new schedule this semester. Luckily, I managed to have a busy, productive, and fun weekend, which was great. Except I did nothing to prepare for the upcoming week, which was less great. Oh, well. That's what Monday mornings chained to your desk are for. But before I get to work, here's a glimpse at the last few days on the Henneward Homestead.

Beer looks a lot like a latte.

First up: beer brewing! We hadn't brewed in months, but we want to give homebrew as one of our wedding favors, so we needed to get back in the habit fast. We bought a part-extract, part-grain kit from Wilmington Homebrew Supply (a GREAT store, if you live in ILM and want to brew), and on Saturday morning a few friends came over for a morning of coffee, vegan biscuits, and brewing. We actually had a batch of beer in the ale pail from a few months ago that we never bottled (oops) so we managed to brew a new batch and bottle the old at the same time. 

We tasted the bottled batch and it was... not so great. Hopefully this new one (Nut Brown Ale) will be better. We have high hopes, as one of our friends is better at brewing than us, and gave us some tips along the way. We're going to bottle this batch in 22 oz bottles with fancy wedding-esque labels, which I will reveal at a later time. For now, we ferment and wait. 

Bottling line.

To balance our adventures in beer, I also worked a bunch at the wine store. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - a lot of time with the wine. Friday and Saturday were busy and fun - I love talking to customers and we have some serious characters that I'm definitely taking notes on for future stories. Sunday was slooooooow, and I spent most of my time cleaning the shelves. It's a dusty job, but somebody's got to do it.

Rickshaw Pinot Noir - delicious.

Finally, the weekend was book-ended with two trips to the bars downtown. On Friday night Nathan and I went to the annual MFA Pub Crawl, a hallowed tradition where a large percentage of the program travels to three or four bars in the course of one night. It's a really great way to get to know the incoming students and show them some of the cool spots for carousing, to reconnect with everyone who disappeared over the summer, and to get drunk. I missed the first stop because I was working late at the wine store, but put in a good showing at the second and third locations. We left before the final stop at the karaoke bar, which is really for the best.


And finally, Sunday night we met our friends M and E, who had spent the summer honeymooning in exotic locations, for a beer at Goat and Compass. I had heard of this bar but never been, and wanted to go mostly because it has a cool name. The bar itself was okay - mellow and laid back, a little run down in a good way. I wasn't truly impressed until two sweet dogs showed up with their owners and let me pet them as long as I wanted, which is a pretty long time. Not sure if we'll go back (it's a little out of the way) but I was glad to finally see it, and even more glad to catch up with friends over a beer. Also, I must go to Peru and Romania immediately. 

And now, with a weekend of lots of booze yet no hangovers (go, me!) I'm refreshed and ready to face my first full week of school. Wish me luck - I have a feeling I'll need it.

9 comments:

  1. Giving out home-brewed beer is such a good idea! I don't know how to brew... but if I ever learn (which I would like to) I might keep that in mind for my own wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that hard to brew, once you get into rhythm. But collecting all the equipment is pricey, though in the long run you save money. Homebrew = cheap brew!

      Delete
  2. I must say that beer brewing is an intimidating concept for me. I had a hard enough time making pickles and those are easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm intimidated by pickles. :)

      When will your baby get here?! I'm waiting impatiently!

      Delete
  3. Any update on your garden, bees, and chickens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been posting occasional updates as I have time! There are some updates a few posts back, and I'm working on a chicken one for this week.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the shout out Chrissy! Love the blog, will post on our facebook. Glad the beer brewing went well- it does look like a latte!
    --John and Michelle at Wilmington Homebrew Supply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for the shout out! And thanks for answering our frantic phone calls mid-brew. :)

      Delete
  5. Good luck! You'll be just fine, darlin.

    (Also, fun weekend! I spent mine mostly hiding from the influx of students--the first week of school is always super stressful with traffic and general chaos. I find it best to stay indoors rather than risk getting run over by students who don't obey the traffic laws.)

    ReplyDelete