Sunday, August 12, 2012

BHM Training: Week 2

(I'm training for the Battleship Half Marathon and posting weekly training recaps each Sunday.) 

A good week as far as cross-training goes, but not so good when you look at actual running. I blame the weather - we've had a series of thunderstorms this week (wind and rain from Ernesto, apparently) which made me miss my long run, which made my weekly mileage abysmal. Better luck next week.


A very rainy week.

Monday: The hard-hitting, one-two punch of kettlebell/spin class at the YMCA. That would be 30 minutes of kettlebell, directly followed by 30 minutes of spin class. The kettlebells focused on shoulders and squats, and the spin portion involved many, many (many) rolling hills. I was dripping with sweat by the end (there was literally a puddle under my bike) and exhausted for the rest of the day. Needless to say, a good workout.

Tuesday: Vinyasa Flow at the YMCA. This is an hour long yoga class that has grown on me since I've been taking it. I used to scoff that it was too slow for a flow, but now I appreciate the chance to get deeper into the poses.

Wednesday: Started with a speed workout on the treadmill. Warmed up for one mile at 6MPH, then ran .25 miles at 7MPH, .25 miles at 7.5MPH, .25 miles at 6MPH. Repeat three times, then cool down, for a total of 3.5 miles in 32:56.

Then I headed straight to Get Fit Now, my new favorite strength training class at the YMCA. One hour of kettlebell swings, barbell work, circuit training, and abs. I jumped rope, squatted, lifted, and felt awesome and strong (when I wasn't feeling like I might pass out).

Thursday: My 30th birthday, and a well earned rest day.

Friday: Woke up exhausted after too little sleep and slightly hungover (see previous day for reasons). Luckily, I was feeling better just in time for my favorite yoga class - Power Yoga at the YMCA. It's the fastest moving, most athletic class I attend, full of balance poses and inversions. I love headstands and I'm usually pretty good at them, but today my balance was off and I ended up falling over. Twice. (See previous day for reasons.) By the end of class I was covered in sweat, most of which was probably actually vodka.

Saturday: 30 minute kettlebell class (swings! squats! more squats!), directly followed by a run around the neighborhood. I covered about 3 miles in 30 minutes, but my legs were exhausted from kettlebell (squats!) so it felt more like ten miles. Running on tired legs is just as good as a tempo run, right? I hope so.

Sunday: I had grand plans to meet a friend at Greenfield Lake and run 8 miles. I even woke up at 6:30 so I could have some coffee and cereal before. As I was sipping my coffee, I heard a familiar sound rumbling through the sky. Turns out a storm had settled over our heads and there was rain, thunder, and lightening all morning. Since I had to be at work at 11:30, the run didn't happen. We've rescheduled it for tomorrow morning, so hopefully the weather will behave itself. In the meantime, I enjoyed my second rest day of the week - especially since my hamstrings were still sore from kettlebell (squats!).

Total miles: 6.5 (pathetic - missing a long run sucks)
Yoga classes: 2
Strength training: 3

Goals for next week: Get my 8 miler in sooner rather than later; keep swinging those kettlebells; attempt to run at least once while I am on Long Island this upcoming weekend for my bridal shower (!).

6 comments:

  1. Not a bad week at all for work-outs! I do sympathize about your missed long run, though: I have a silly reason for missing my long run yesterday, and now I'm mulling over the options for how to get it done during the work week. Treadmill? Get up super-early to run outside? Skip it and just try to get three shorter runs in this week? Hmm, too many options! :-)

    Have a wonderful time in New York!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst part of skipping a long run is trying to make it up!

      Delete
  2. On the treadmill what made you pick 6, 7, and 7.5? I'm curious because I have picked similar things but have no method to it.

    My miles were bad this week too. You did a lot more other stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are just challenging speeds for me. 6 (10m/m) is an easy, warm up pace for me. I was going to the half mile at 7, but it felt a little too easy, so I upped it to 7.5. And then I repeated that because I like symmetry, and also I wasn't sure if I could hold the 7.5 for a full half mile. I might try and go a little faster next time - I like doing speed work on the treadmill, especially when it's still so hot outside.

      Delete
    2. Your methods are similar to mine. I need symmetry. I also sometimes start it out too slow so I bump it up but then I have to bump it back down and repeat. Sometimes I change the speed by .2 every minute. I climb up then climb down. sometimes I say I'll stop at 7.8 and go back down and those times are the times I go to 8.2. That is one time I will be ok w/o ending on the same speed I start on because it's pretty tough for me to push the extra speed in the middle and end on a round number. Treadmills are good when the weather is hot but they are also so boring. Did you read my post about how I planned to not even turn the TV on until I ran 1 mile to help break it up?

      Delete
  3. I miss sweating from exercise. Lately just getting out of bed makes me sweat. Sigh.......

    ReplyDelete