Wednesday, August 01, 2012

One Year Later and Plans

It's August 1st, which means that exactly one year ago today we rolled into Wilmington with a moving truck, no furniture, two restless dogs, and a lot of uncertainty and excitement. Which turned into more uncertainty and a certain amount of dread when we laid eyes on the house whose lease we had already signed, sight unseen, and realized the photos we had been sent were at least ten years old. Oops.

In desperate need of some paint.

Where's the couch?!

Luckily, it was nothing some paint, $300 worth of cleaning supplies, and a whole lot of wine couldn't fix. Today, I love our little rental and - more importantly - I love Wilmington. A year later, this town truly feels like home. We've got a community, we've got friends, we've got love. And, as a bonus, we also have a garden, chickens, an amazing writing program for me and a great paradmedic program for Nathan, and the beach. One year later and we're doing pretty damn well. So thanks, Wilmington. You've been great and I'm looking forward to the next few years. Happy anniversary to us!

Much better.

We live here. We are very lucky.

Besides celebrating our one year anniversary with North Carolina, we have spent the last few weeks deep in wedding planning mode. The shindig is just over three months away, but I wanted to get most of the big stuff done before school starts. Which is in, oh, twenty-two days. Gulp. 

We've gotten most of the major things squared away, so now it's all the little details. Which are minor, and simple, but precisely the kinds of things that keep me up at night. Seating cards! Centerpieces! Signage! Programs! Favors! All the DIY things that I love in theory, but sort of stress me out in real life. Luckily, Nathan is doing his part by building pretty much anything I ask him to, and there's enough time that if we tackle one project a week, we should have all our personal touches ready to go with plenty of time.

As for this week's project? I'll give you a hint.



Our invitations arrived in the mail on Monday, and we've been assembling them and addressing envelopes every evening since. My goal was to get them in the mail on Friday, and we're right on track. I'm so excited to share them on the blog, but I want to wait until everyone who's getting them, gets them, just in case they read my blog and the spoil the surprise. Soon!

As for this morning, it's raining, with some spectacular thunder and lightening. I have a full pot of coffee, invitations to finish, a desk full of work to do, and two dogs who desperately want to go on a walk but must wait for the storm to pass. Better get to it. Here's to a productive Wednesday, and the best August yet.

12 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! I realized the other day that I'll be coming back to North Carolina one day before my one-year NC anniversary, Moving to NC was *such* a good decision.

    Good luck with all the wedding stuff! Those postage stamps are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and happy anniversary to you, too. NC is pretty great!

      As for the stamps, I just asked the post office for the wedding ones, and this is what they gave me. I think they're really pretty too!

      Delete
  2. I like your living room decor. Especially the color of the walls. I wish I knew how to make things look nice. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks! The trick is to have hardly anything. Also, to have artistic friends (most of the stuff hanging on our wall are pieces we bought from friends, back when we had disposable income.)

      Delete
  3. Happy anniversary with Wilmington! I bet you guys can't believe it's been a year. Time is flying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely flying! Can't believe I'm a second year, and that school starts in three weeks. Eek!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're happy and have found a great community. I move Friday to start Purdue's MFA program. Like you, I rented the apartment unseen - I hope the pictures I saw weren't as out-of-date as the ones you saw of your rental. Still, your post reminds me there's nothing wine and elbow grease can't fix. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read about your program! I hope you love the MFA experience as much as I have - it's not always easy, and sometimes it drives you crazy, but I've never questioned if it was the right decision for me.

      And, yes - wine fixes most things, elbow grease and yoga are a close second. :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, darling! What a year it's been for you and Nathan. And oh--your photos here are so gorgeous. I love your sense of aesthetics :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! And thanks for noticing the photos in this post. I spent a lot of time getting that ribbon to fall just so. ;)

      Delete
  6. Happy moviversary! It sounds like life is good. From the photos, it looks like your invitations are going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete