Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pizza for the People

One of my friends posted this photo on Facebook yesterday. I thought it was a nice reminder of how seemingly small actions can make a difference in the way the world is run. Lately, reading the news makes me feel helpless and depressed, and change - actual change, for actual good - seems far out of reach. It's good to remind ourselves that change can happen anywhere, and should begin in the smallest moments of our own lives.


This also reminded me of a pizza I made last month (my brain is a strange place), which I never got around to posting. Mostly because we make simple pizzas on a weekly basis, so I don't necessarily consider them worthy of sharing. This one was a little different, so I took a photo of it before we dug in. Instead of our usual red sauce, I made pesto, following Isa's low fat recipe which uses edamame instead of oil. I don't usually worry about the fat content of things, but pesto is one of those foods that I like to eat in bulk, and all that oil can be a little hard to handle. I also like that the edamame ups the protein of each serving. Plus, it's pesto. You can't go wrong with basil, lemon, and salt.


The basil came from our garden. We have three plants and they've been growing like crazy - definitely our star producers of the summer. I think I'm going to make a few batches of pesto this weekend and freeze them in ice-cube trays, so that I can use them all winter, when it's cold and dark and we're in desperate need of a little taste of summer.


As for the rest of our toppings: finely chopped broccoli, red onion, red bell pepper, and Wildwood Aloha Baked Tofu. A perfect summer pizza, proving that revolution can be many things, including delicious.

13 comments:

  1. I plan to quit credit cards....as soon as I pay off the debt. *sigh* (Not that I'm charging new things to the cards, so that's a start, but you know...) I have a plan, at least.

    I am admittedly not very good at growing my own food. I keep trying and failing. It's not my strong suit. But I do bake my own bread, which makes me really happy.

    Also, a few months ago I renewed my commitment to only buy clothes at thrift stores, with the following exceptions: underwear (I really just prefer shrink-wrapped underpants) and shoes (I never feel comfortable in shoes that have the wear and indentation of someone else's feet).

    I do my best. It's not perfect, but it's something. And I like to read about all the ways people do their part. It's really inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have an embarrassingly high balance on my credit card. I keep blaming it on the move to NC, but since that was a year ago... well... I'm running out of excuses. Chipping away at it slowly but surely, though. Mostly slowly.

      This is our first attempt at growing our own food. It's been hit and miss. I think it'll get easier as we get more experienced. And I was pretty good about baking bread during the winter. The summer heat killed my motivation on that front.

      I totally agree about new underwear and shoes. Totally.

      I think I make efforts toward each of the things on this list, and I do other things that I think are important and worthwhile that aren't on the list. I don't imagine anyone is truly perfect when it comes to these kinds of things, but I also think society doesn't encourage us to live this kind of life. You have to go against the grain, which is possible, but not easy. I say any progress is good progress, and I will keep trying. And eating pizza. Never stop eating pizza. :)

      Delete
    2. I will *never* stop eating pizza. Just this past Friday I made an excellent one, with tons of sundried tomatoes and olives.

      Delete
  2. I love that list. The Occupy London camp is right outside my college and I always feel bad walking past that I'm not doing more for the cause. It's good to break it down to actionable things. Don't know what it's like in America, but we get all our shopping from an organic box scheme. Seems counterintuitive, but it's actually way less money than going to the supermarket each week where you always buy more than you meant to. Or I do anyway...

    As for the debt, after uni and law school I seriously hear you. I found www.andthenshesaved.com really inspirational. Not sure I'm quite ready for a total spending fast yet though!

    Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The organic box sounds like a CSA - I think they're probably the same? We need to look into doing that here. I know there are some options, I've just gotten a bit lazy.

      And that site you linked is awesome! I bookmarked it for reading later - I know I'll get sucked in once I start. Maybe reading it will be my reward for finishing my syllabus.

      Delete
  3. Great Occupy list--though I'm a big fan of my credit card as it helps me keep track of what I'm buying so that I don't overspend. I pay mine off every month though and haven't had debt for over 2 years.

    As for the pizza--yums! That baked tofu looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the paying-off-the-balance part that I have trouble with. That, and all the interest that has accumulated. Paying it off each month is the way to go!

      Delete
  4. That's a great list! I think I try to do a lot of those things, at least some of the time. (I will confess, though, that it's hard for me to not love Target. I've been shopping there for a long, long time, I worked in the one-hour photo shop for a little while, and I have many good memories associated with Target. I'd like to think that Target can co-exist with locally-owned stores, but another confession: I have now bought two running skirts from Target, and I haven't even set foot in the new running gear store we have here! For shame...)

    Speaking of oil, I am thinking of writing a blog post about vegetarianism and dietary fat. Good topic? It's a sensitive one for sure, and I am not a nutritionist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good topic! I look forward to it.

      Delete
  5. PS Aloha baked tofu? Yum! Get in my mouth now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little pricey, but definitely cheaper than going to the Mellow Mushroom for my pizza fix. :)

      Delete
  6. I LOVE Aloha tofu!

    I have never tried to make pesto, even when we had more basil growing in our yard than we knew what to do with. That pizza looks delicious so I think I need to get to experimentin'
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pay my credit card once a month, so I have no problem with it and with the incredible bank fees on debit, credit is very usefull ! But for the rest, these are good tips, all in moderation seems to be the wisest attitude !

    ReplyDelete