Sunday, September 02, 2012

Four Fast Things

A post on a Sunday? I know, I know - I usually post during the week, but I'm discovering that being back in school means I should post when I have time, even if that time is when the least amount of people will be on the Internet. Because I don't actually have much time (there is a massive plate of stir fry in my very near future, along with a viewing of The Hunger Games via the couch) here's just a random sampling of what's been keeping me so busy.


On Saturday Nathan and I got up early, and brought coffee and lawn chairs to Hook, Line, and Paddle, a kayak shop in town. They were hosting their annual Labor Day sale, wherein they sell off all the kayaks they rented all summer. Nathan has been dying for kayaks - we've been borrowing from friends every chance we get - and we knew this was probably the one and only time we'd find any in our price range. Well, the two we ended up snagging (pictured above) aren't exactly what you might call "in our price range," but we got them anyway. So much for budgeting our money. On the bright side, kayaking is a really fun and completely free activity (after you spend an exorbitant amount on kayaks, of course) so at least we've got that to look forward to.


In chicken news, I have been trying to find a home for Lou for a few weeks now, with no luck. In case you haven't been following along, we hatched some eggs back in May and ended up with four chickens - three hens, and one increasingly mean and aggressive rooster. Lou (nee Louise) makes it hard for me to get into the coop to clean and pet the ladies, and he's starting chasing them around in a way that makes me think they are not all having a great time. Plus he's started crowing, loudly, and I am sure my neighbors just love us. Which is to say: I need to find Lou a home, ASAP. I've posted him on Craigslist and had a few interested people contact me, but so far no one has panned out. It seems roosters are one of those things you literally cannot give away. I am hoping that someone takes him soon, because Nathan has threatened to take care of Lou himself if my humane efforts fail. Wish me - and Lou - luck.


Oh my god, I have so much stuff to do for school. Writing, reading, teaching, reading, InDesign, reading, and more writing. I love it all, so I'm not complaining - I'm just honestly worried about getting it all done. Today I worked an afternoon shift at the wine store. Sundays are our slowest day, so I brought my work with me and got through a good chunk of Shakespeare's sonnets (which I have to teach to my unsuspecting students on Tuesday). Mutlitasking at it's finest. 


This morning when I got out of bed and made my usual beeline for the coffee maker, I was greeted with a series of what can only be described as explosions. It seems Seamus has some kind of stomach virus, evidence of which was strewn about the house in a variety of now-disgusting places. I cleaned it all up, and then Nathan got up and found a pile I had missed, and he cleaned that up, and now we have decided to spend the evening in, monitoring our pup and running for the backdoor whenever he needs to relieve himself. We're hoping this is something that will work it's way out of his system quickly, but if he's still feeling bad by Tuesday we're going to the vet. For now, cuddling on the couch and a bland diet of white rice and chicken broth seems to be helping.

There are other things going on, but that's all I have time for now. I hope that once I settle into a routine, I can get back to a regular posting schedule. And if I can't, well, I hope this will suffice. Thanks for reading. <3

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the kayaks! My dad and I go kayaking a lot together, and I love it. It's so peaceful and a great upper body work out. Sorry about Seamus - I hope he's feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon, Seamus!
    Some day we hope to own kayaks. It's probably a long ways away so I'll have to read about your kayaking adventures and live through you for a while.
    On a completely unrelated note, I started using None of Your Frizzness for the first time. Pretty good stuff, I have to admit, and actually way better than some of the more expensive stuff on my regular shampoo/conditioner rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for kayaks! I love being able to just get out there with ours and paddle. Totally worth it.

    Good luck with classes--amazing how it all just starts & goes crazy. I'm sure you've got it totally under control though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ever claim to be poor again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try to refer to myself as "broke" instead of "poor." And the kayaks went straight onto Nathan's credit card, which was very irresponsible and which we'll likely regret.

      Delete