Friday, November 02, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

This past weekend we got a lot of rain and some gusty wind, compliments of Sandy. Overall, though, it barely touched us - we didn't lose power, nothing flooded, and the biggest causalty was a branch that fell on our garden, snapping one of the pepper plants in two. I was sad about the pepper, right up until the moment the storm hit New York and shit got real. 

My parents' street on Long Island.

My parents and youngest sister live on the south shore of Long Island; my middle sister lives in Harlem. I was worried about them, but figured they'd be okay. On Monday night, my youngest sister said she'd talked to our mom and that water was rising and they were thinking about sleeping it the attic. And then the power went out, the phone lines were dead, and cell reception was pretty much non-existent. I didn't hear anything for hours, kept getting a busy single when I called, had no idea if my parents' house had flooded, and was worried sick about my family.

My parents' front yard.

Finally, on Wednesday, my youngest sister managed to post some photos to Facebook. My other sister had gotten through to my parents very briefly - just long enough to find out they need a new roof and my mom was worried about her pre-wedding hair appointment (priorities...). They got power back yesterday afternoon (they're very lucky - hundreds of thousands of Long Islanders are still waiting) and my mom called me. The water didn't get in the house, but it did flood the garage and ruin a bunch of my dad's tools, including his beloved riding lawn mower. It flooded the crawl space under the house and destroyed the hot water heater. Huge swathes of shingles were torn from the roof. The backyard is a mess, and the street was flooded for days, but the water has finally receded, and they've started cleaning up. State troopers are guarding the streets and only allowing residents to enter, and there's a curfew. Scary stuff, but I'm just glad my family is okay. Too many others were not nearly so lucky.

After the storm.

I'm not posting this for any particular reason - I'm sure you've all heard a thousand stories from the storm, seen photos of the destruction daily since it hit - but I just wanted to share. Hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes - these things happen, we can't stop them, and the best we can hope to do is hold on tight and cross our fingers. And after, we have to clean up, fix the things that are broken, replace the things we lost, and - most important - lend a hand to those who need it. If the Sandy hit you, I hope you're recovering. If you were lucky enough to be spared, I hope you're grateful. And if you have a family, or friends, or anyone that you love, make sure they know it. <3

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your family is ok, but I'm so sorry their house was so damaged. Sending you all positive energy <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are definitely with your family. I'm so glad for them that the water didn't get into the main part of the house and, even more importantly, that they're ok. Must have been a harrowing experience though :/ Much love to them as they clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm so sorry to hear about your family's ordeal. Thank goodness they are okay, but man, it sounds like a whopper of a mess. I am sending love and good luck to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you know, I think it's okay to be sad about the pepper. Just because things are worse for other people doesn't invalidate our feelings about our own losses. Loss is such a personal experience--I think we should try not to judge others or ourselves for our grief. Maybe the important thing is to prioritize our actions rather than feeling shameful or inappropriate about our grief or sadness?

    At any rate, I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad your family is okay! It's been a nightmare here on the East coast, hasn't it? Sorry about all the destruction :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that your family is okay, but I'm so sorry to hear about the damage to their property. I hope they are able to get things cleaned up and repaired quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeking shelter in the attic is a strategy that has gotten many many many people killed. When the water comes up there is no escape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did post about Sandy and your parents. I totally missed this in my feed. Weird! I'm sorry I seemed so clueless this morning, but I'm glad I got to touch base with you. I'll send all the good vibes your parents way to keep clear of Wednesday's storm so they can be delivered safely to your wedding. Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes - these things happen, we can't stop them, and the best we can hope to do is hold on tight and cross our fingers.” You’re right. And I would like to add that we should remember to always remain prepared for these kinds of weather conditions. I hope the roof of your parents will be fixed soon to keep them safe, especially in the upcoming winter season.

    Lakisha Autin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear that you're one of the many victims of hurricane Sandy. I hope you're doing well with the recovery. When we are hit by disaster, it’s so easy to just buckle and give up. But when you have your family, you seem to find that desire to stand up and move forward. I can see you and your family moving forward after this. It’s just one of those trials life throws at us. Stay strong!

    Regards,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hurricane Sandy devastated lots of homes and properties, but I’m glad that you and your family are safe. Disasters like this are unavoidable, but we can always prepare for these scenarios to lessen property damage. And after the disaster, assess the property and start to repair and replace the damaged parts at once.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m glad that your family is safe now. I agree with Joanne. Doing repairs immediately after a disaster gives you quicker time to move on and deal with the present. We got hit as well, and we did the repairs as soon as we were able to. Letting the damage linger for a while might cause them to become bigger after time, which will lead to more expenses.

    - Lida Swisher

    ReplyDelete