Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Potato, Pepper, and Onion Frittata


It's been a while since I cooked with eggs, mostly because I spent so many years as an on-again, off-again vegan. If and when I did indulge in an egg, I usually just fried it in a pan, over easy, so as to get the full egg experience. For this reason, I never baked with eggs (why hide that egg goodness in folds of dough or batter?) and I never made things like frittatas, because they seemed excessive. So many eggs in one dish, when I was already teetering on the moral fence about their use. It was just too much. 

But now we have our own chickens. Georgia, Polly, and Alice live happy, fat chicken lives. They have room to run around, get treats on a regular basis, and spent their days doing whatever they want - which is mostly scratching in the dirt and clucking at me when I walk by, but who am I to judge. The life of a chicken (my chickens, anyway) seems pretty nice. 

And so: my first frittata. I looked up a bunch of recipes online and finally settled on this one, except I started by sauteing frozen potatoes, peppers, and onions in a cast iron pan, transferring the veggies to a glass pie plate, and then pouring the scrambled eggs over everything. I put the whole shebang in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until it stopped jiggling if I shook it. (I am very scientific in my methods.) Whatever I did worked - the frittata was light, fluffy, bright yellow, and delicious. I predict this will be a regular in our weekend morning rotation.


Next up: crepes. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Delicious! We have our own chickens, too, so that's why I eat eggs. Frittatas are a good way to use up any extra eggs! Although now the girls are slowing down due to the decreasing daylight so we don't have too many extra eggs.

    I've always wanted to try my hand at crepes! Please let us know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love frittatas! They're so hearty and such an easy way to pack vegetables into a meal.

    And I think you'll be fine with crepes. If you can make pancakes, you can make crepes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never attempted to make or eat a frittata. I never even knew what they were until last year when we started watching the Chew. Good luck on the crepes!

    ReplyDelete