Thursday, December 27, 2012

2013 Plan of Attack


Via Pinterest.

I like to make a big deal out of setting goals for the New Year. The last two years, I've outlined a detailed Plan of Attack, filled with resolutions, ambitions, and intentions. Of those goals, I have achieved some of them, while others shifted over the months, and still others were abandoned or forgotten. Occasionally - and this is a really big confession, so hold on to your pants - I suspect that I might crave the process of making resolutions more than the actual accomplishment. 

I know. I know. 

This year, I'm going to take a different approach. One year. One goal. This, of course, doesn't mean that I'm going to abandon all my other good habits and forgo unrelated ambitions for the next twelve months. I'll still exercise regularly and eat good-for-me things. I'll strive to read more books and practice more yoga. I'll make time for friends and get better at writing thank you notes. I won't let clean laundry pile up on the guest bed, I'll stay on top of my school work, I'll drink less wine (but not less often). 

But those aren't goals worthy of a New Year's Resolution. Those are just things that I should be doing every day because I am a grown up human, and being responsible, kind, and able to handle every day tasks should be a given. 

This year, my New Year's Resolution will not be wasted on mundane things. This year, I'm doing it right.  One year. One goal. If you've been reading for any length of time, I'm sure this goal won't be very shocking. It's the only goal that makes sense right now, the only goal worth pursuing. 

By the end of 2013, I will write a complete draft of my first novel. 

Better get to work. 

20 comments:

  1. I too get caught up in creating goals and having a plan and feeling proactive about my life. Even if you don't succeed in accomplishing everything, there's a lot to be said for at least thinking ahead.

    That being said, I am so excited for your goal this year! Do you have a story idea already in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who goes a little crazy at resolution-making time!

      My goal this year coincides nicely with my thesis deadline (that was intentional). I started a novel last semester and I'm about 50 pages in - hoping it will end up being around 250-300 when I'm done. So far, so good, even if I'm writing so slow. ;)

      Delete
  2. How exciting! What a great goal. Best of luck with it!

    I think it's a great idea to just focus on one goal and not make so many resolutions that are impossible to keep. I really like that image by the way. It's so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that image too! And thanks - I'm excited to finally write a book. It's been a goal for a long time.

      Delete
  3. "Complete daft" Off to a rocky start! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you implying that a complete draft is not an ambitious goal? I'm not sure how other writers work, but one year of writing and then a year (or more) of revision seems pretty standard to me.

      Delete
    2. Oops! I think this comment was a play on your typo, my dear: daft instead of draft :-)

      Delete
    3. HA! I think you're right. Anon, sorry for the snarky reply. It's funny how you can proof-read something ten times and STILL not catch the obvious typos - especially the Freudian ones. ;)

      Delete
  4. Great resolution...(So, you have a plot in mind?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do! I started a novel last semester and I'm about 50 pages in. I don't like to talk specifics when I'm in-progress, but maybe in a few months. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this resolution!! I'm a want-to-be-writer as well, so I can really appreciate this. I hope you do it! :) I'm going to make some writing-related resolutions for myself this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for writing resolutions! I'll be sure to hop over and check yours out. We can cheer each other on!

      Delete
  6. Awesome! I'm sure I will have some writing-related goals for 2013 to share in a couple of days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get positively giddy over resolutions. My completion rate, however, is seriously poor. I've actually been thinking about doing something similar to this. I was talking with my brother about it yesterday and we were coming up with ideas like reading/studying in-depth one author for one year, or working only on knitting things all year, or focusing on developing one artistic craft. It just seems less overwhelming to do it that way. Can't wait to read your first novel! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of focusing on one author or hobby for the year. And thanks - I can't wait to read my first novel either! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh man. Love setting goals. Love starting projects. Finishing?? Er. Let's just say that in December and January I've committed to two new work-generating projects that are seriously taking time away from me doing revisions on my next collection. But the December project has already yielded a few new poems for the manuscript, and I think January will, too.

    For 2013, I want to find a home for a short story I finished back in early 2011. At least half of the rejections have been personal ones, with the editors telling me specifically what they liked and why it didn't meet their particular aesthetic, so I know there's a place for it somewhere. I just have to be more diligent with submissions.

    I also need to make 2013 the Year of Revision for my poetry, rather than the Year of Generating New Work. That was 2013, and it served me well, but I'm not going to get a collection out without devoting time to revise!

    I'm sure there are others. I'm going to ponder a little more and put up a post sometime over the weekend. Holy cow, I can't believe 2012 is nearly over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Year of Revision will hopefully be my theme for 2014. For now, New Work is where I need to be.

      And isn't it sad how great writers feel when they get a personal rejection? This submitting thing is so strange. :)

      Looking forward to your post! Your productivity is always inspiring.

      Delete
  9. Yay! Such a good resolution. I can't wait to pick up the finished novel a couple years from now in a bookstore and think to myself, "I was reading her blog before she was famous!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I sincerely hope it happens just like that. :)

      Delete
  10. I like it! (I had a feeling what your one resolution might be, and this one is perfect for you.) Focus is a blessing, and I think 2013 will be a very good year for your goal.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete