Sunday, February 17, 2013

Doing All the Things

After a weekend spent sick in bed, and the following weekend partying it up at a wedding, I was more than ready for some serious productivity.

As my good friend Mel would say: boom, done. 


Okay, so there's a giant pile of clean laundry on the guest bed and I'm not done fact checking a story we're publishing in Ecotone. But please allow me to point out that the laundry is CLEAN (this is a huge step) and I made enough progress on facts that I will easily cross that item off tomorrow morning. I consider today a success. 

In addition to Sunday Tasks, my weekend was pretty lovely. We hung out with Actual Friends on Friday night, and spent a few glorious hours drinking too much red wine and playing Anomia, which is basically the card game of the year. On Saturday, Nathan and I shared a booth at the coffee shop - he was studying respiratory emergencies for an upcoming test, I was working on a short essay about yoga and home. We also went to a kettlebell class at the YMCA, which left me bowlegged and sore, and stopped at the farm supply store on the way home for chicken feed, where we accidentally bought two flats of vegetable transplants for the garden. Oops. 


Today, I managed to run eight miles, my longest run since I officially signed up for the half marathon next month. I swear, sometimes I think I'm cursed when it comes to races. I fork over my registration fee, and suddenly I get sick, or really busy, or have to travel. It doesn't matter how good my training has been progressing - as soon as it counts, everything goes downhill. Naturally, I will keep signing up for races and keep hoping for the best, because I'm an optimist and/or delusional. At any rate: eight miles and my average pace was 9:50. Not bad, considering the aforementioned kettlebell class. I have a feeling tomorrow's going to be a yoga day. 

Tomorrow I will have a new list of Monday Tasks, and I'm looking forward to it. But first: a glass of wine and some cuddling with the dogs, which is always sweeter when it's been earned. 

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes those catch-up weekends are the best! I also often feel like as soon as I sign up for or start officially training for a race I get sick, injured, or have on-campus interviews for which to prepare. I'm hoping to have a strong cycle, though, this time and run a marathon PR in Vancouver in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yeah for doing all the things! I had a similar weekend--pretty exhausted from it though! And I'm super jealous of your veggies--can't wait to get mine in the ground in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good weekend indeed! I like your "oops" purchases from the farm supply store ;-) A perfect oops.

    That's an interesting observation about your racing mojo! I sign up for races so far in advance that I do not leave these matters to fate. Spontaneity is not my strong point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I tend to register at the last minute because my schedule has been so crazy lately. But I am training with the goal of registering and racing. It seems all is well UNTIL I register - as if that's my bad luck charm. Luckily my long run on Sunday made me feel a lot better about the race. :)

      Delete
  4. Happy to hear you are feeling better! You really did get some stuff done! Great job on your run - hope your next race goes well :)

    PS - Glad that someone understands my view on food! Makes me feel a little less out of place :)

    ReplyDelete