Monday, April 08, 2013

Warm and Dry



Spring finally arrived in Wilmington this weekend - on Sunday afternoon, to be exact. It was a gorgeous day - clear blue skies, balmy temperatures, a feeling of peace and joy in the air. My friend Erica texted me in the middle of the day, asking if I wanted to go to the coffee shop to do schoolwork (the usual) or if I wanted to something, anything, but schoolwork instead. I asked if she wanted to walk around Greenfield lake with my dogs, and she said yes, and so we did. The lake was full of people and children and pets, and we ended up covering two miles before Calvin and Seamus collapsed in the grass, tongues lolling.  

After the lake, we met some friends at a park to watch an MFA basketball game (the boys) and drink wine and eat snacks (the girls). I was going to finish this perfect day with a Mad Men watching party, but ended up falling asleep at 9:30 instead. Sunshine + day drinking + long walks with friends = ten hours of deep and glorious sleep. I'll take it. 


And just in case you think my weekend was all fun and games, I did accomplish some Actual Things. Grocery shopping, working out, and reading a million pages for school, to name but a few. I also hung a clothesline in the backyard, in order to line dry both our mentionables and our unmentionables. Our dryer stopped working last week and we're not sure what's wrong with it (we bought it off Craigslist when we first moved here, and I suspect it's electrical, but who knows). We aren't in a position to call a repair person right now ($$), so a clothesline it is! And I have to say: it's not so bad. At least not in the spring, when it's warm and lovely, and the azaleas in the backyard are in bloom, and the sun is shining every day. It also has the bonus of being eco-friendly, free, and makes me feel like a real homesteader. Seriously -  hanging my clothes out to dry and then collecting eggs from the coop is a pretty pleasant way to spend a few minutes each morning. Sometimes the simplest solution is also the best. 

As for the week ahead, I will spend it attending the final thesis reading of the semester, helping to put together the latest issue of Ecotone, writing poetry with my students, and spending as much time outside as I possibly can. I'm looking forward to all of it! 

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for spring! We finally found some spring-y weather too. Bout damn time!

    Sounds like a perfect weekend :)

    ReplyDelete