Thursday, May 09, 2013

5 Minute Chickpea Salad Sandwich


This is one of those recipes I hesitated to post, because it's not really a recipe at all. Mash, mix, eat - that about covers it. And yet this sandwich is a very tasty and satisfying combination that I have been eating since I was an undergraduate at SUNY Purchase. I remember making this in my dorm room, sometimes topped with sliced apples and cheese and broiled for a few minutes, sometimes mixed with celery and a good shake of paprika and black pepper. Today I had it with butter leaf lettuce from the garden and chopped dill pickles. (Side note: you know you've been living a thrifty life when a jar of pickles from the grocery store is an extravagant splurge.) 


To make this sandwich, do the following:

  • Open a 14 oz can of chickpeas; drain and rinse. 
  • Mash the chickpeas with a fork until they are mostly mashed. (I like a few whole ones in there for contrast.) 
  • Mix mostly mashed chickpeas with a few heaping tablespoons of Nayonaise (or regular mayo, if that's your style. Hm. Homemade mayo with backyard eggs? Better add that to my to-make list.) 
  • Serve on a roll, or a bagel, on in a wrap, or between two slices of bread. (I went with a bagel thin, which were two-for-one at Kroger last week.) 
  • Add toppings (in my case, lettuce and pickles). 
  • Eat while sitting in a chair in the backyard, while the dogs beg for leftovers and the chickens cluck in their coop. Enjoy the sunshine and the pickles, which you have totally earned. 
I told you it was easy. Now go forth and mash chickpeas! 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, YUM! I love chickpea sandwich spread but always forget to make it. It should be a staple in my kitchen because I love it so, but alas. I should change my ways, right?

    I like your version with pickles! I've done that too, and I also like a fancier(?) version with fresh tarragon.

    http://lifeloveandfood24.blogspot.com/2007/09/homeward-bound.html

    Happy eating, Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your fancy version! I will definitely be trying that!

      Delete
  2. Yup, I need to get back to the basics with recipes like this. Weekend chickpea mashing, I see you in my near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss. I would say let me know how it goes, but mashing is pretty straight forward. ;)

      Delete
  3. This sounds good! And you should try homemade mayo with your eggs - there's nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a recipe you can recommend? Or is it so easy you don't need a recipe, and was that a dumb question? :)

      Delete
  4. I'm going to try this, I have everything, and I'm starving right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds easy and delicious. I love recipes that are too easy to be recipes, and I LOVE chickpeas. Thanks, Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete