Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Chicks Are Afraid of Everything

First of all, I apologize for denying you adorable baby chick photos. The new girls are growing at a fast rate and have already reached that awkward half-fuzz, half-feathered stage. They're still living in their brooder, but seeing as it is supposed to finally stop raining tomorrow AND it will be in the low 80s (YES!) I am planning to move them to the small coop, at least in the day time. 

Zelda

One of the reasons I've not taken a million photos of the babies is because they are terrified of the camera. They are terrified, actually, of everything. I don't remember the older ladies being quite so skittish when they were tiny, so I'm not sure if it's a breed thing, or if it's all in my head, or if the babies are just bored and cranky. Hopefully moving to the coop will help with the issue, whatever it may be. 

In the meantime, I have finally named the chicks. They are as follows: Louise II, a silver laced Wyandotte. Our first Louise ended up a Lou and had to be re-homed. I'm hoping this time, the name sticks. Hilda, our second Wyandotte. Then there are the Americaunas: Zelda, after Fitzgerald, and because of the gorgeous coloring around her eyes. She reminds me of a 1920s flapper. Hattie, named by my friend Lucy as a going away present. Ruby Redbird. Ruby was another name Lucy was considering, and it seemed like a natural choice for our mini hawk. Ruby Redbird is also the name of my favorite summer ale (Texas represent!). 

I will try to take individual glamor shots soon, when the process is less traumatizing for the girls. Their comfort comes before the blog - I hope you understand! 

In the meantime, here are some photos I took last week, when they were much smaller. (Seriously - chickens grow so fast!) I had given them some strawberries as a treat and a distraction, and as you can see they were, at first, terrified. 

OMG WHAT IS THAT?!

After a few minutes spent huddling in the corner and peeping shrilly, it began to dawn on them that the strawberries were not, in fact, there to kill them. The chicks began to inch closer to this strange new thing. 

HM. IT DOESN'T SMELL LIKE DEATH.

The chicks kept darting closer to the strawberries, and then turning away at the last second. Such a tease, those chicks. 

OMG THIS IS GOOD!

Once the first chick was brave enough to take a peck, the others quickly followed. Sometimes I wonder, if one chicken jumped off a cliff, would all the others follow? The answer is: yes, absolutely. Silly chickens. 



One thing the chicks are not afraid of is eating from my hand. Soon their beaks will be too big and sharp for hand feeding, but for now it's a sweet frenzy, and the one time they do not seem scared of me. Step by step, babies. We'll get there.

8 comments:

  1. Those chickies have the good life with y'all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good gravy, they are adorable. The taming process sounds remarkably similar to my attempts to convince my new(ish) guinea pigs that I'm not trying to murder them. Guinea pigs are kind of the chickens of the rodent world anyway, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! You and your flock seem to be having a wonderful time together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, the chicks being freaked out by the strawberries is way too cute! (It's going to stop raining? I'll believe it when I see it...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, so sweet. They do seem to be really scared of everything at first. I love Zelda! She is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's almost annoying how scared they are at first! :) I put my chicks out in their house last week and they are finally not scared of me and come running to greet me! I LOVE when they do that! Plus, I talk to them and pet them all the time so they are finally starting to be my little buddies :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're working on the "running up to me" thing. My older ladies do that every time, so I'm going to keep hoping this is a just a stage. I think the trick is to come bearing treats. ;)

      Delete
  7. Very sweet. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete