Monday, May 13, 2013

Insta-Weekend

Apologies if you follow me on Instagram and have seen all of these photos already, but as much as I keep resolving to use my real camera more often, the draw of the iPhone is hard to resist. That said, my weekend was pretty nice. 

First up: we've officially moved the chicks into the little coop. The dogs are very curious about this development, as you can see. 


The chicks are just about a month old, and we're getting to the point where they can jump out of the brooder. They have most of their feathers, and it's been really warm out (80s in the daytime  50s at night) so we've been putting them in the coop during the day. Last night we let them sleep outside, and while it was a little nerve racking, they survived. I ran out there first thing this morning, and they were already up and scratching around, so I'm going to assume they're okay with the new arrangement  I'm very relieved - as cute as they are, it's a bit wearing to have five baby chickens living in your guest room. Next on our list: clean the hell out of the guest room. 


I spent about two hours on Saturday afternoon, drinking a beer and reading a book on the porch, while Nathan studied diligently for a big test he had today (he passed!). Our DIY wall of wine bottles filtered the light in a lovely way, so I took a break from my book to snap a photo. 


I also spent some time reading in the backyard (there was a lot of reading this weekend). I like this photo because you can see the prayer flags we hung in the chicken coop, as well as our clean underthings hanging on the line. (Nevermind the dog poop all over the yard, our overgrown grass, or the fact that we still can't afford to fix our dryer. Nevermind that at all.) 


This weekend was also our six month wedding anniversary. While we don't normally celebrate such minor events, I bought a fancy (IE, $30) bottle of wine at Christmas and I've been looking for a good excuse to drink it ever since. Six month anniversary it is! I researched food and wine pairings, and came up with a baked mushroom risotto that would compliment our Belle Glos Pinot Noir nicely. The risotto was great, the wine was delicious, and the chocolate pie I baked for dessert was the perfect end to a quiet date night. It's official - I'm a catch. ;)  


The weekend ended by seeing The Great Gatsby with some of my finest lady friends. The movie was okay. I liked the modern music paired with the 1920s period, and the costumes and dancing were lovely. But the narrative was a bit clunky, and it took about a half an hour before I really got into the plot. Also, we saw the movie in 2D because 3D gives me a headache AND costs more, and there were some shots that were clearly filmed with the 3D experience in mind. In 2D, they just looked a bit strange. Did anyone else see the movie this weekend? If so, what did you think? If you actually remember the book, how did it compare? I'm considering picking it up this summer, as I read it in high school and don't remember it very well, but I also have a million other things I want to read, so we'll see. 

As for the week ahead: continue writing 1,000 words a day (still going strong!), research the history of moonshine for my other job, and make it to yoga more than once. I'm also hosting a little giveaway tomorrow on the blog, so check back for that. Until then! 

1 comment:

  1. Researching the history of moonshine sounds like a lot of fun! (And a bunch of old guys with beards too!) :)

    Glad to know that mushroom risotto is worth its salt--I've been thinking about making it for ages. Need to get on it one day!

    ReplyDelete