Monday, May 06, 2013

Tacos and Tryouts

Despite being far too short, my weekend was pretty great. Most of the good stuff happened on Saturday, since Sunday was spent working at the wine shop (now that the semester is over, I'm picking up more shifts each week) and trying to make progress on my grading (due this Wednesday! Ahhh!). 

Saturday started bright overcast and early, because my first priority was to write my 1,000 words for the day. Then, Nathan and I poured giant cups of hot coffee and headed down to the beach. One of his friends from the paramedic program was trying out for a beach lifeguard position, and half the class went to watch and cheer him on. 



It was a cold and windy morning, and I did not envy the men and women who had to swim a half a mile against a strong current and choppy waves, and then run a mile and a half down the shore. Only six people were able to complete the challenge, and everyone else will have to try again next week (I think. It was hard to hear what was going on over the wind). The only thing I know for sure is that I would be the worst lifeguard in the world, as I need to ease myself into the ocean inch by inch, even in the middle of August, when it's 105 degrees. 

After tryouts were over, Nathan and I headed to our next stop - Breakfast Taco Fest, hosted by our dear friends Katie and Dory. 

Fixins.

Breakfast Taco Bowl.

Breakfast Tacos are an essential part of Texas culture, and since Dory spent years living in Austin, she knew how to fix 'em right. I enjoyed a large portion of migas, topped with avocado, cilantro, salsa, and soyriozo, and washed it all down with many a mimosa. There was a nice turnout of friends, and you have to love a party that starts at 11:30AM. 

Perhaps the best part of the party, however, was a family recipe for a beverage that is brewed and served in a (clean, unused) paint can. It involved fresh squeezed citrus, whiskey, sugar, ice, and mint. Once it was ready, we passed that paint can around and went. to. town. 

Dory serves the drink.

This is a family affair. 

Passing it on. 

Delicious! 

Of course, our early morning at the beach and our day-drinking meant that Nathan and I fell asleep on our couch at approximately 9:30PM. I reget nothing. 

Sunday was also good, even though no paint can drinks were involved. I wrote my words, ran six miles, worked my wine shop shift, graded a few papers, and almost caught up on Parks & Rec. And now it is Monday, and I'm still grading, but that's okay. I've got a pot of coffee and a red pen and I will finish these papers today if it kills me. Better get to it! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great weekend! I'm loving that paint can drink. And the food looks so yummy! Breakfast tacos sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast Taco Fest. That might be the coolest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete