Friday, May 24, 2013

The Remedy Diner + Free Time

On the road.


Here is how I know it's officially summer: yesterday, Nathan had to go to Raleigh to try on a suit for a wedding in September (he's a groomsman) and I had enough free time to drop everything and go with him. Oh, free time. I missed you! 

Raleigh is about a two hour drive from Wilmington, so we listened to some podcasts (How Stuff Works,  and How To Do Everything are two of my favorites) and the time flew by. I really like long drives, probably because I hardly ever go on them. In fact, I hardly ever leave Wilmington, which was part of the reason I was so eager to go to Raleigh. I love our little coastal town, but sometimes a girl has got to spread her wings. 

A rare photo of me.

I will admit: part of the reason I jumped in the car was because I was promised lunch at The Remedy Diner. It's a cute restaurant in downtown Raleigh that serves both "mainstream therapies" (meals with meat) and "alternative therapies" (vegetarian and vegan fare). I ordered the Veggie Reuben, which included marinated tempeh, avocado, sauerkraut, and sliced pickles. So delicious. So filling. So worth a four hour drive, round trip. 

I ate every single bite.

In other news, I feel like I've hit a good rhythm with my summer schedule. I'm working about 20 hours a week at the wine store, I'm researching moonshine for a professor, I'm writing more than my required 1,000 words a day, my kitchen is clean, and it's almost hot enough to go to the beach. I feel productive but relaxed, and even though I fill my days with a long list of Things To Do, I don't feel overwhelmed. I think it's because my Things To Do are just that - I do them, and I'm done with them, and I move on. This is different from Semester To Do's, which also must be done, but require hours of preparation before I can do them. Does that make sense? It does to me, and I'm going to enjoy it while I can. Things will change in June, when I have a few more part time jobs, and then again at the end of the summer, when I finally do a little traveling. For now, though, it feels good to have a routine and be productive, especially when it means I can run off to Raleigh at a moment's notice and eat good food with my number one husband.

Hope you have a great weekend and (to my American friends) a happy Memorial Day. See you on the other side! 

3 comments:

  1. That sandwich looks amazing! I definitely love "do lists" vs. what I consider project lists, which usually are a process and require other people's input.

    Have a great Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Remedy Diner! Jon and I happened on it accidentally when we were visiting NC. If I'm ever there again, I hope I end up close enough to Raleigh for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you mean about to-do lists. Also I like the top (or is it a dress) that you are wearing in the pic.

    ReplyDelete