Thursday, May 02, 2013

Work in Progress: April


There's not much to report for April as far as my novel goes - I knew it would be a hard month on my own writing, and I was right. The last few weeks of school are always crazy, and while I managed to make a little progress on other writing projects (a few revisions, a few submissions, a contest entered and already lost), the novel remained a mostly unopened file. Because I knew this would happen, I'm not too broken up about it. Plus, now that the semester is behind me, I'm excited and eager to jump back into my own work. So, since there's hardly anything to say about April, let's talk instead about my writing goals for May. 

My plan is to write at least 1,000 words a day from May 1 until August 31, and right now I am two for two. (I netted 1165 words yesterday and 2633 words this morning!) While I know it's only day two, and I should probably hold off on the celebrating, I can't help it - especially considering I've written more in the last two days than I have in the last two months. Summer, you are off to a good start. 

A few friends and I are also reviving the Summer Workshop we ran last year. It's run like a regular workshop, except with alcoholic beverages and no academic pressure. I think I'm up for workshop four or five times, and I'm looking forward to it, as always. At first, I thought I would submit chapters of my novel, but one of my favorite professors advised me to hold my book close, at least while it's still so young. I think he's right - I'm still figuring things out, but I'm at a point where I need to do that on my own, without too many outside voices. So instead, I'll workshop other pieces, a revised version of my chicken essay, a short story I wrote last winter, some prose poem-like things that I've been playing with. And then, in the quiet of the mornings, after I've let the birds out and fed the dogs, but before Nathan gets up, I will write my one thousand words and make the progress that I've been looking forward to for so long. 

I feel like it's a solid plan, and I'm grateful that, despite working a million part time jobs this summer, I have the time and flexibility to write as much as I can. It's going to be a wonderful and productive Summer of Writing, and I'm so glad it's finally here. 


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan! Good luck with the novel. I think you'll make great progress this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Sounds like a very reasonable goal that will add up in the end.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping that next summer (this one will be full of research and travel) I can devote myself to a daily word tally for my monograph. I wish I could say that I would be able to finish it before then, but realistically the demands of teaching 3 different courses a semester and other academic responsibilities make that really unlikely. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I decided to start this summer the second the semester was over. ;)

      Delete