Friday, May 03, 2013

Yahoo, Y'all

In my endless quest for enough money to pay the bills, get rid of some debt, and keep my wine rack stocked, I've been pursuing a few side jobs. One of which is to become a Yahoo Contributor, writing freelance articles that are then published on various Yahoo sites.


Before you congratulate me on landing such a lucrative and prestigious gig, you should know a few things. The first is that anyone can become a contributor. All you have to do is create a profile and wait for "assignments" to come across your "desk." If one of them looks appealing, you claim it, write it, submit it, and wait to see if it's accepted. Once it's published, you then have to promote your piece because you are, naturally, paid by pageviews. If you're really ambitious, you can submit your articles based on your own ideas, and I think those might pay better, but so far I haven't had time to go that route. Soon.

Part of me thinks the whole thing is a racket, while part of me hopes this turns out to be an actual way to make some cash. I'm going to give it a shot for a few weeks and see if it's worth my while. 

If you want to read any of my articles, I'll post a few of them at a time in an ocassional post. Let me know if you like them, and feel free to pass them along to friends, family, coworkers, or complete strangers. A click is a click, after all. 

DIY Wedding Flower Fail - The assignment was to recount a horrible wedding mistake you made. I considered writing about how the party bus crashed into a ditch on the way to pick us up at the end of the night, but since that was really out of my hands, I went with a minor flower mishap instead. 

How the Library Changed the Way I Eat - I tell this story all the time, so it was pretty easy to write. Also, this is not the only instance of me reading a book and dramatically altering my life in some profound way. Someone should probably take away my library card. I have already  made over four dollars with this one! (That's a lot, in case you were wondering.) 

6 comments:

  1. Neat! I think if you were reasonably ambitious, you could make some decent pocket change with this. Do let us know how it goes!

    PS I'm reading your vegetarian story now, even though I think I already know it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your article on becoming a vegetarian! My Dad always jokes with me about not eating meat, and when we have family get togethers he always tries to push meat on me. He, too, thought that I would die without meat, but when I remind him that I go for a check-up each year and my doctor assures me I'm completely healthy, he changes his tune a bit.

    Good luck with the Yahoo gig; hope it works out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading the article! Glad to know I'm not the only vegetarian from a meat-centric family. :)

      Delete
  3. Hope yahoo works out! I read both articles - ka-ching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've toyed with the idea of doing it. Crowd-sourced content sites like Babble and Yahoo do get traffic, I just can't hurdle the idea of promoting, because I'm terrible at talking about myself. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm already kind of over it. Having to promote myself, when I'm not super invested in the work, is really hard. I want to save my self promotion for things that matter, like my fiction and future novel. That said, I seem to be getting some opportunities that pay up front, which would obviously be much better. Now I just have to wait for one that's actually relevant to me!

      Delete