Tuesday, June 11, 2013

First Draft

Yesterday, I accomplished my one big goal for 2013. The first draft of my book is complete.


After a year and a half of thinking, plotting, and planning, and six weeks of daily writing, it was surreal to reach the last page, and even stranger to print out the manuscript - 256 pages in all. Technically, I still have two important scenes to write - they'll each require a few hours of research, so right now they're just summarized in the manuscript - but for now, I consider draft number one in the bag. 

Holy shit, y'all. Ho. Ly. Shit. 

Of course, all this means is that the real work is about to begin. My draft is... okay. It has potential. It is a good representation of the story I set out to tell. But it's not done, not even close. There were points while I was writing that I thought, "Oh, this character is very flat. I'll have to fix that in the second draft." Or, "Hey, this character is more important than I thought! She'll need more scenes earlier in the book." I'm also on the fence about the ending, but I hope that after sitting down and reading the whole thing from start to finish, I'll understand how to best tie things up. For now, though, I'm taking a break. Putting the draft in a drawer (or, you know, leaving it on my desk, so I can gaze at it with a mixture of awe and pride, whatever the case may be). Picking up other projects - half finished essays, stories that need another round of revision and submission, a few prose poems that have been knocking around in my head. I'm not sure how much time I'll take - maybe two weeks, maybe a month - but when I come back, it will be with teeth bared and red pen brandished. Revision, y'all. It's where the magic happens. 

For now, I will eat cupcakes and celebrate and enjoy this accomplishment. I've never written a book before. It's a good feeling. 


22 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! That's huge!!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Congratulations! Celebrate big time for reaching this goal, wow! 2013 goal done and its only June!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! My new goal is to have the second draft done by the end of the year. ;)

      Delete
  3. HEY! I still read your blog, but never comment. Thought this accomplishment was worth and wanted to send a great CONGRATULATIONS from NM :) Hugs to you and Nathan and also sorry I didn't congratulate y'all on the big wedding. AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI BOBBIE! Honestly, this feels more like an accomplishment than the wedding, so don't be sorry at all. I miss hearing from you - I hope you're happy and thriving in NM! <3

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!!! What an accomplishment. Since I am a beekeeper now, I am very intrigued by the title! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main character is a beekeeper and runs a CSA farm, which made all my research a lot of fun. :)

      Delete
  5. Woot woot ! That is awsome congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, it takes a lot of hard work to actually write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Long time anonymous reader (I think that makes me something like a lurker...story of my life). Anyway, this was wonderful, amazing, inspiring, exhilirating news to read. Best of luck with the revisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks reading and for the sweet comment. It means a lot of have so much support in this project!

      Delete
  8. That's wonderful!! Congratulations and enjoy the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! You're a rockstar! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing! Congratulations and Well Done!
    -Cee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on achieving your goal in half the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, HURRAY! Congratulations, Chrissy! My apologies for being a little late to the party, but I'm so, so happy for you. This is a very big deal. Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crissy, I am so thrilled for you, really and truly. I can understand how this must feel, as I work on my first novel too. And can I say, I adore the title of your novel. I look forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mostly a lurker too. Wanted to pop out of hiding and let you know, I am so happy for you! Congratulations!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete