Monday, July 08, 2013

Here

Carolina Beach on a perfect July day.

As a general rule, I don't apologize when I take random breaks from blogging. I just dive right in where I left off because, let's face it, blogging is a hobby and not something I consider a job, or a responsibility, or a necessity. When life gets busy, my blog is the first thing that gets shoved to the back burner. That said, I feel like I should address my recent lack of posts with a confession. I haven't been writing here as much, but not because I've been too busy. It's because I've been having too much fun. 

The corn hole set Nathan built for our wedding.

Young Writers Week. Visits with my best out-of-town friends. MFA potlucks and kitchen table chats over bottles of wine. Corn hole and long afternoons at the beach. Reading for Summer Workshop and editing my book. Usually, this would be the best time to blog - I'm actually doing things, as opposed to sitting at my desk for days on end, slogging my way through grading or writing shitty first drafts. I'm discovering, though, that I often blog as a form of procrastination - when I want to avoid my "real" work, I turn to my blog, because it feels creative and expressive and also I occasionally make a few bucks via ads and so it's also a way to make my bank account less dismal. Really, though, I'm just procrastinating. 

Recipe here. So good and a perfect potluck dish.

I've read a few articles lately that have spoken to my recent need/desire to disconnect and unplug. Now, obviously I think the Internet is a wonderful place. It's enriched my life in many ways, expanded my horizons, and helped me to see things that are happening on a larger scale. The Internet is my connection to the rest of the globe, and the world feels smaller - in a good way - because of it. 

But the downside to thinking globally is a kind of hyperopia - an inability to focus on what's right in front of me. Have you seen that bumper sticker that says, "Think Globally, Act Locally"? It's a great message, but it contains a balance of there and here. One of our jobs, as engaged and compassionate and present human beings, is to maintain that balance. Sometimes that means tipping in one direction before weighing the scales in the other, and that's how I'm choosing to see this summer. As a season to spend here

We all brought Bobcat to the beach!

And so, while I'll still pop in and say hello, and share my latest adventures and kitchen escapades and photos of the chickens and the bees and the dogs, and the progress on my book, and my upcoming travels, I hope you'll forgive my occasional silence. It just means that I'm living in the moment, and having a lovely time, and that when I do come back, I'll be better and more balanced than before. 

Here's to here

2 comments:

  1. I love the photo of all of you reading Bobcat! Also, thanks for the recipe for that chickpea salad. I planned to ask you for that. Thanks again for twerking with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post when I was still in Colorado, and I just marvel at your way with words. Such lyrical prose you create! I know the feeling you describe about blogging as a method for procrastination, but have you seen articles about the plus side of procrastination? It may be your mind's way of working unconsciously on the big work you hope to accomplish.

    Let's see if I can dig something out of ye olde interwebs...ah ha! Ann Patchett!

    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/26/arts/writers-on-writing-why-not-put-off-till-tomorrow-the-novel-you-could-begin-today.html?pagewanted=print&src=pm

    Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete