Friday, July 05, 2013

The 5th of July


I'm never entirely comfortable with the patriotic holidays. It's important to remember the men and women who died for our country on Memorial Day, but at the same time I don't want to glorify war. And while I'm glad Columbus "discovered" America, because for the most part, I like living here, it feels wrong to celebrate at the expense of the Native Americans. And Labor Day, during which we are plied with beer and patted on the back for devoting our lives to a rigorous work schedule that barely makes a dent in our debt and leaves us too tired to join the revolution. America! Yay!  

The Fourth of July was especially hard this year - between all the sneaky anti-abortion bills slipping through various state Senates (North Carolina is trying its best to follow in Texas' footsteps), the NSA leaks and the search for Snowden, and the fact that my good friends aren't allowed to get married in their home state (to name just a few) it's hard to feel very "free" or "independent." 

And then Wendy Davis slipped on her pink Mizunos and literally stood up for the women of Texas, and I was overwhelmed with unexpected pride for the place where I lived for so long. I've been inspired by Davis' grit and determination, awed by her epic filibuster (she wore a catheter!), and proud of the women and men who flooded the Texas Senate to stand with her. I've read countless articles and essays, and cried my eyes out, and daydreamed about Davis running for governor. I've considered moving back to Texas just so I can run her campaign team. And even though it looks like the bill Davis fought for so many hours will pass anyway, the hope I felt when she stood up to those men on behalf of all women - on behalf of me - still lingers. 

And so yesterday, on America's Independence Day, I thought of Wendy Davis, and of all the people who are oppressed and disadvantaged and treated unfairly by our government, and I thought about how we fight back every day, in a thousand small ways, and how that will eventually add up to something big and bold and beautiful. I know there is so much to do, so many wrongs to right, but I feel like we're inching slowly in that direction. That's something I can feel good about celebrating. 

6 comments:

  1. I love this post. Nicely stated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes and yes! I stayed up until wee hours in the morning watching what went on in Austin (where we're at now) and I greatly admire Wendy Davis for what she did and is doing. There is a petition going around here if you haven't already come across it.

    And I feel the very same way but I honestly feel that way about all holidays. I don't celebrate holidays, generally speaking. Even birthday's I keep light. My birthday is today and we're just getting dessert but otherwise I'm a believer in celebrating every day, not having a holiday tell me how and when to celebrate (plus they are normally pushing it via commercial means).

    Wonderful post Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honest, great post. I'm canadian, but we can relate to the big picture and some pretty important issues...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way...about everything, the 4th of July, Wendy Davis, and that I too feel that if we keep fighting, we will keep inching our way forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and don't fret over my unsubscription today...I am not going anywhere, just moved you over the BlogLovin with my other favorite bloggers :-)

      Delete