Monday, July 01, 2013

Work in Progress: June



June was a pretty stellar month on the writing front - the first half of it, anyway. As I already reported, I finished my first draft on June 10th, and celebrated accordingly. (Thanks, by the way, for all the congratulatory messages - I'm beyond grateful to have so many of you throwing your support and good wishes behind me!) After I saved that document in five different places and printed it out, I promptly put it my desk drawer and tried my best to forget about it. 

In the meantime, I turned my attention to a few other neglected projects. I worked on a new version of a short essay, turning it into a longer piece that will require some research about animals attacking humans, and some memoir about my family that I'm not 100% comfortable talking about (quite the combination, I know!). I revised, yet again, a short story I've been working on for the last two years, which has thus far been rejected from 17 publications - on the bright side, most of those rejections were nice and/or personal, so I know the story is close! I'm hoping this revision does the trick. I also wrote a piece of flash fiction that has a bit of a fairy tale bent, which I'm excited about. It needs some work, and I'm planning to submit it to my summer workshop group very soon. 

And then the second half of June arrived, and I basically wrote nothing and read even less. Between Young Writers Workshop and a glorious, five day visit with Amy and David (massive post about that coming soon!) my own writing was put on the backburner while I spent as much time living in the moment as possible. It was a good break and much needed, but now it's July and summer is half over. Later today, I plan to pull my draft out of that drawer, sit on the porch with a cup of coffee and a pen, and read through the first chapter (taking lots of notes for revision) while the rain outside continues to pour down. My plan is to get through the whole book by the end of July, and then start revising in August. It will be a slow process, but I'll get it done the same way I got the draft done - page by page, bird by bird. 

How are your projects coming along? Are you more productive in the summer, or do you take it easy when the days are long and the weather is hot? I'm more productive, but that's because this is when I have the most free time. I fear for my productivity once school starts up again. Hopefully the good habits I'm forming now will stick. 

1 comment:

  1. 17 REJECTIONS! Whew. That is both terrifying and inspiring :-) I'm glad you are having a great summer with lots of writing and fun in the mix--it sounds just about *perfect* to me.

    As for projects, does travel count as a project? I think it should. There is something awesome about being taken out of your comfort zone and seeing the world from a different vantage point. Even seeing my family in June had its novelties--the kids are different each time I see them because they, like all kids, are growing so fast.

    I guess what I am trying to say is that travel is refreshing, and I'm grateful for that :-)

    ReplyDelete