Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Rewarding Sunday

I write a lot about routine and habit, and how I strive for these things. This is not because I'm a dull person (at least, I hope not) but because having a plan is what allows me to relax when I finally take a day to break free. While this past summer was a good one, filled with late nights, lots of wine, a bit of travel, and many, many days at the beach, I couldn't help but look forward to the start of the fall semester, and the structure that school and teaching provide. Last week was the start of my new schedule, and I dove right in. Already, I'm back to waking up by 6AM, working on my novel every day, and planning my lessons with time to spare. I even started running again, after taking most of the summer off - I covered more miles in the past week than in the whole month of July! So it only seemed fitting that such a productive week be rewarded with a relaxing Sunday.




We spent the afternoon kayaking out to Masonboro Island, which is just across the Intracoastal Waterway. The water was a little choppy, and we paddled against the wind on the way out, but overall it was a peaceful trip - I guess all those kettlebell classes are working! Once we got to the island, we walked across the sand to the ocean side, drank beers, and hung out with few friends. Nothing too crazy, but that was the point - just a relaxing day, with good company, enjoying the beauty around us before cooler weather settles in. 

I hope you're finding a moment to relax, whatever your schedule may be. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to work. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment