Thursday, September 19, 2013

Egg Watch 2013 and Other Things


This past weekend, the baby chicks turned five months old, which means they could start laying their own eggs any moment. Which also means I should probably stop calling them "the baby chicks" and start calling them "the girls." It's hard to tell, but I think Hattie (pictured above) will be the first to lay. She's always been the most forthright, her comb is slightly larger and redder than the others, and Tuesday afternoon I caught her hanging out in a nesting box, just sort of testing it out. I'm really excited to find a blue-ish egg. She and two of the other baby chicks girls are Ameraucanas, so we'll finally have some variety in the colors of our eggshells. This is the kind of thing I find really exciting. 


In other animal news, the boys are doing fine. We just celebrated Seamus's nine year adopt-iversary, which is crazy to think about. Nine years with that dog! He's starting to show his age, with a gray muzzle and his recent inability to jump into the car when we're leaving the park (Nathan has to lift him up these days), but otherwise he's as playful and loving as ever. And speaking of loving, Calvin has taken his cuddling to new extremes - he always knows exactly where the coziest crook of your body is, and has no qualms about nestling himself into it. He's the one in the photo above, mid-howl because a fire truck drove by and both dogs must howl every single time that happens. (Have I mentioned that we live down the street from a fire station? And that I often work from home? Do you see where I'm going with this?) 



Last week, we finally got a little fall weather, by which I mean it got down to the low 60s at night, and stayed in the low 80s in the daytime. That's practically scarf weather here in North Carolina! While I'm happy to greet a new season, especially now that school has kicked into high gear, I'll miss Summer 2013. It was a good one, filled with visits with friends and family, many days at the beach, volleyball, novel writing, and board games. Here's to you, Summer! See you next year. 


We eat a lot of stir fry in this house. It's fast, tasty, and a great way to cram as many vegetables into a meal as possible. We usually stick with a predictable combination of tofu-broccoli-onion-pepper, but earlier this month I wanted to try something new. I found a recipe for this 15 minute Brussels Sprouts and Tempeh Stir Fry. While it took me closer to 25 minutes to make, it was worth the extra effort. Highly recommended! 


This week, I've been working-working-working, getting my lessons planned, assignments graded, and readings finished ahead of time, because we're leaving town this weekend. Our dear friends Miles and Briana are getting hitched in Rhode Island, so we're headed there tomorrow. I've been looking forward to this trip for months, and I'm so excited it's finally here. Old friends! Fancy clothes! Wedding festivities! Wine and dancing and cake! It's going to be a great weekend, and I can't wait to tell you all about it. 

Until then! 

5 comments:

  1. New eggs are so exciting! My pullets have just been starting to lay in the past week or so and I love their tiny little eggs. The Welsummer lays the most gorgeous dark brown speckled eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait to have eggs and chickens of my own :) my husband and i are getting ready to sell everything we own in ca to head east to land in coastal NC soon. in search of a slower pace of life for us and our little ones. your blog is a joy for me to read. it helps me wrap my head around our new life there and the adventures to come...i would love any advice you could offer about relocating to that area... :) :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelbi! I can definitely give you advice - or at least, I can try! Do you have an email address? I feel like this could get cumbersome for a blog comment. :)

      Delete
  3. Ah, such a great update post! I feel like I should have been sipping a mug of tea while you told me about all your happenings. Here's to the finish of a great summer and the start of a busy, beautiful fall. xoxo

    ReplyDelete