Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Weekend Adventures

I was talking to Nathan last week about how, when we lived in Nacogdoches, we had really amazing weekends. Long runs, canoeing down the Neches River, projects around the house, coffee dates with friends, yoga workshops in other towns, dinner parties. While our weekends in Wilmington are usually pretty good, they aren't crammed full quite the same way. We decided this is because here, our schedules are more flexible - we do the same amount of things, but we spread them out over the course of the week. In Nacogdoches, we lived for the weekends. In Wilmington, we just live. 

Every now and then, though, we have a weekend that feels like a Weekend. This was one of them. 


The biggest and best thing that happened was the visit from our friends Ella and Phil. They were driving home to New York from Florida and stayed with us Thursday night to late Saturday afternoon. We spent a lot of time talking on my porch while drinking beer and/or wine, exploring the many brunch options of Wilmington, and joining up with the MFA Pub Crawl. The Pub Crawl is an annual event during which we introduce the new first years to our favorite bars downtown, getting to know them the best way we know how - through drunken karaoke, of course. It's always a really fun night, and this year was no exception. In the photo above, we are closing down the bar with a rousing rendition of "Bohemian Rhapsody." I'm glad photos don't come with audio. 


Despite guests, the Pub Crawl, and all those late nights on the porch, I managed to get in some good workouts as well. After going to bed at 3AM I still managed to make it to my favorite 9:30AM kettlebell class at the YMCA. (I then fell asleep that night at 8:30PM, but that's neither here nor there.) On Sunday morning, Nathan and I met up with a new friend for a loop around Greenfield Lake. I'm just now getting back into running after a summer off, so the four mile trek around the lake was a perfect challenge. We hope to make this a weekly tradition, and I'm excited to have some new running buddies in town. It makes the miles go by so much faster. 


I spent a lot of my down time working on a Super Secret Embroidery project. This may or may not be part of a wedding gift, so that's all I'll say. Actually, I lied. I'll say just a little more. I haven't embroidered since the days of the Crafty Renegade meetings in Nacogdoches, and while I had to read a few tutorials to remember my stitches, it came back pretty quickly. I even learned a new stitch - the lazy daisy, which makes sweet little flowers. I'll share the finished product, once I've given it away, but so far I'm pleased with my progress and looking forward to more embroidery projects in the future. Hello, Christmas presents! 


We ended the weekend with our usual Sunday night volleyball game. Nathan and some friends formed a team to play in a local league, and it's been a lot of fun. I don't actually play, because I hate volleyball, but I like watching and cheering and drinking $2.50 drafts. Our team lost, as usual, but they came closer to winning then ever before. I predict a solid win by the end of the season, if only because we are truly underdogs and that's what the movies have led me to expect. Go, team! 

Because the weekend was so busy, the coming week will be the same, except with school and work. I have a million things to grade by tomorrow, lessons to plan, an essay to work on, and a pile of reading to finish up for class today. I'm looking forward to most of it, so no complaints here. 

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment