Thursday, September 12, 2013

Work-in-Progress: August

Boring photo, exciting moment. Printing my draft.

Y'all. THINGS are HAPPENING. At the end of August, I finished what I'm referring to draft 1.5 of the book. I printed it out (264 manuscript pages! Booyah!) and gave it to my thesis advisor ten days ago. And even though I can already think of things I want to add and edit and delete and rewrite, I'm forcing myself to take a break and wait. I want to know what she thinks before I make any major changes, because I'm at that point where outside advice is necessary. 

In the meantime, I'm working on a few other projects. Since I'm graduating in May (despite a healthy dose of denial) I'm trying to score a few more publications for my resume, in the hopes that this will help me get some kind of job. Right now, I'm heavily revising my essay about hatching chickens/not wanting to be a mother (it's not as strange as it sounds. Actually, it is. Which is why I'm still working on it!) Another journal is doing a themed issue in honor of Transformation, and I think my essay about dreadlocks would be a good fit, if I can fix all the terrible parts. And then a friend passed on an upcoming anthology's call for submissions. The anthology will be called Winged: New Writing on Bees, which, COME ON. The deadline isn't until January, so I'm hoping I can submit a chapter of my novel, and maybe a short lyrical essay I've been playing around with. 

So, even though the novel has been pushed to the side for now, I'm still working steadily (or at least as steadily as I can, as teaching and school are already taking up a lot of time). David Gessner, one of my professors, loves to recite the following quote. I'm not sure who said it first (and the Internet seems split on that one) but it doesn't matter, because I'll always attribute it to David. "A change is as good as a rest." It's brilliant, because it's true, and it's why I love having multiple unfinished projects lying around (though finished projects are pretty nice, too.) 

Today, I'm going to try to finish that chicken essay, at least enough so that I can pass it on to a friend for a second opinion. And then, when I get comments back from my advisor, I'll switch gears again and throw myself back into the book. A change is as good as a rest. 

And we're off!

More Monthly Updates

6 comments:

  1. I'm weirdly jealous.

    I got feedback on my most recent draft of my next poetry manuscript 2.5 weeks ago, and I haven't even touched it yet. Of course, it's because I'm absorbed in writing the prototype for Choice:Texas, so it's not like I'm just procrastinating. I just want unlimited energy to work on all my projects at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read about Choice:Texas on a feminist blog (after hearing about it on your blog, of course) and it sounds like it will be both awesome and important. Good luck on the prototype!

      Delete
  2. Love that Gessnerism--so true too! And I totally want to read that essay on chickens/not wanting to be a mother :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs quite a bit of work before anyone can read it! But thanks for your advance interest. I have high hopes for it!

      Delete
  3. Ah, excellent! I'm happy to hear about your writerly updates. Printing your draft and submitting it to your advisor are both very exciting. Yay!

    I am super swamped at work right now, which means that reading/writing/blogging for non-work stuff get pushed to the back burner. Instead, I shall live vicariously through you. Carry on, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed you weren't around as much, and I missed your posts, but I know how a new job can be. I hope everything is going well and that you fall into a rhythm soon!

      Delete