Thursday, October 03, 2013

Right Here, Right Now

Clockwise: new egg; working on the beach; truth; neglected bees.

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, season 3, via Netflix. I'm not sure why I watch The Walking Dead. I don't like being scared, I already have recurring nightmares about zombies, and I have to cover my eyes during all the gory scenes. (In case you didn't know, that's a lot of eye-covering.) And yet, even though I've lost a bit of sleep, I'm having a mostly good time. (Also, I tried to find a photo of The Walking Dead, but they were all too scary and/or featured a large number of weapons, and I couldn't bring myself to post them here.) 

Currently reading: The Selected Works of TS Spivet, for my Hybrid Forms class. It's about a 12 year old map maker, and has a tons of weird drawings, tiny maps, and funny notes in the margins. I just started it, but so far, so good. 

Currently eating: Backyard eggs, on Trader Joe's Sprouted Flourless Whole Wheat Berry Bread, with a side of sauteed kale. Last week, we found one tiny white egg in the chicken coop, which had to come from one of the Americaunas, but we haven't seen anything since. Egg Watch 2013 soldiers on. 

Currently running: Six miles! That was my long run last week, around Greenfield Lake with some friends. I haven't run that far since last spring, and I felt surprisingly strong. The cooler weather we've been having helped, as did a summer full of kettlebell classes. I decided to skip the Battleship Half Marathon this year (fall is already crazy busy with school + thesis work) but I'm looking forward to the Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon in March. 

Currently feeling: Good? I almost don't want to type that, as if I'll jinx it, but it's true! Even though October will likely be the hardest and most challenging month of my MFA career, I think I'm in a good place. I like my students, I'm plugging away at draft two of my thesis (full update on that soon), and I'm about to submit an essay about chickens and motherhood to an upcoming anthology. I'm also hanging out with my friends once or twice a week, which is good for the soul. Everything feels pretty well balanced, but then again, it's only October 3rd. Let's see how I feel on October 25th. 

Currently wishing: I had any idea what I'm going to do for a job after I graduate. On the bright side, Nathan's new career is starting to take off so worst case scenario is we live off his paycheck for a few months. We've lived on less, so we'll be okay. It's just the idea of not knowing what my "career" will be that's a little unsettling. 

Currently planning: Tonight I'm going to a fiction reading by Jason Mott, the visiting writer at UNCW, and then trivia at our favorite bar. Tomorrow is ladies night, where I'll drink wine and paint my nails with some lovely friends. This weekend we'll either go camping on the beach or attend a house warming party. And in between all of that, I'll continue revising my chicken essay and working on my novel. These are all good plans, and I'm happy to have them. 

Hope you're currently having a good day! More soon. <3

2 comments:

  1. Ah, lovely! I enjoy "currently" posts so much, and it makes me happy to hear that YOU are so happy. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do more so that I can write interesting "currently" posts like this.
    Chrissy, you can do ANYTHING!!!

    ReplyDelete